FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback jitter on photo moves

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Dow
Playback jitter on photo moves
on Mar 24, 2011 at 8:49:20 pm

Hey Walter.....(Or anyone)

I just finished editing an FCP sequence that needs to be shown by another vendor at a meeting in several days. He doesn't use Playback Pro, and I'm not sure what he is using. I will be there, so I offered to bring my MBP, an external drive, multiple flavors of the encoded piece, as well as several DVDs of the program.

When I play the H.264 from a portable iomega 500GB drive, some of my pans and moves on still pics look a little jerky. They looked smooth in FCP. What would you suggest to give me the best playback performance?
It's the kind of thing that most of the audience, and my client, will never notice, but it is bugging me big time.

I also have a Lacie D2 Quadra that I could take, if that would be much better than playing from the Iomega drive.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
James

JPD

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Playback jitter on photo moves
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:44:40 pm

James, sorry I missed this while I was out of town.

It may be too late now, but I'd advise finding out for sure how the other vendor will be playing this and delivering accordingly.

The stuttering in your H.264 file is probably caused by high decode complexity (CPU) rather than high data rate (disks). For Quicktime playback, I prefer ProRes 422, which plays well in HD on just about any recent computer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:54:52 pm

No worries, Walter...thanks for your reply. We used the DVD playback, and unfortunately the AV contractor had a bad VGA connection going to his main ceiling mounted projector. He ended up running it via an SVideo cable. Oh well.

JPD

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:19:54 pm

[James Dow] "We used the DVD playback, and unfortunately the AV contractor had a bad VGA connection going to his main ceiling mounted projector. He ended up running it via an SVideo cable. Oh well."

Yikes! But it could have been worse -- he could have run it composite...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Mar 31, 2011 at 5:36:22 pm

The horror.

JPD

Return to posts index