FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Live Events to a Hard Drive

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Esposito
Recording Live Events to a Hard Drive
on Jan 29, 2011 at 11:33:24 pm

I currently use a Pinnacle system to bring my footage in through a laptop and record to hard drive. It works great and I wanted to see what other options I had and also, I have an older laptop that I would like to do this with but it only has USB ports and with my set up I can not go in USB and out USB at the same time. I go in USB and out ESATA to the hard drive. If you have something in mind let me know. Eventually I'll have to make the HD jump but I'm sure these sets up will make something to accept 1080p footage as well.

I know they are making some switcher's now that can directly record to hard drive and I also have Adobe On Location, which I've never learned yet so I'm not sure if that works the same way as my break out box.

Thank you,
Tony

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Recording Live Events to a Hard Drive
on Feb 1, 2011 at 6:53:19 am

What system are you using now, and what's your workflow from ingest through editorial?

I prefer dedicated hardware for recording. Depending on workflow, I generally recommend either the AJA Ki Pro, which has an interface like a VTR and records to ProRes-encoded Quicktime files on its internal hard disk, or the Convergent Design NanoFlash, which records XDCAM MXF/Quicktime files on compact flash cards.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tony Esposito
on Feb 2, 2011 at 2:29:32 pm

I use a Pinnacle Studio Movie Box. The Ki-Pro is nice but way out of my budget. This way I record to an external drive and can work right off it if needed.

Return to posts index

Scott Buford
on Feb 7, 2011 at 2:20:10 pm

I would second Walter's recommendation of a dedicated unit if possible. If you can't afford to purchase a KiPro, there are many rental houses now offering them.

I would caution against using On Location for Live Events. I have had issues with it in the past with dropped frames, causing me many headaches in post re-syncing audio.

Currently, when I can't use the KiPro, I have been using the Motu HDX-SDI to a Macbook Pro via Final Cut and have been very happy with that.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Tony Esposito
on Feb 8, 2011 at 4:55:30 pm

Thank you Scott, I will check it out.

Tony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]