FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AG-HMX 100 not accepting digital MacBook Pro input

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Lewis
Panasonic AG-HMX 100 not accepting digital MacBook Pro input
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:55:01 pm

We are trying out the Panasonic AG-HMX100 Video mixer and have been quite pleased with the features/cost ratio. The mixer accepts HD-SDI signal from AG-HPX300 flawlessly as well as HDMI from AG-HMC150.

I have successfully connected my MacBook Pro (15" Late 2008) to the DVI-I input in analog mode using MiniDisplayPort (MDP) to VGA adapter to VGA cable to DVI-I adapter, however when I use the MDP to DVI adapter in any configuration I see the desktop for 1 to 3 seconds and then it goes away. Is there any way HDCP is being activated?

I have tried a DVI-D cable to the DVI-I input, and a DVI-D to HDMI cable to the HDMI input. I have configured the PC input on the AG-HMX100 for Digital and 1080/60 and the Mac is sending 1080 @60Hz. The Mac recognizes the MX100 via HDMI but the image won't "sync". The Mac sends to Samsung and Vizio LCDs with DVI to HDMI cable without problem. Any ideas?

I had no problem connecting a Toshiba laptop via HDMI.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Panasonic AG-HMX 100 not accepting digital MacBook Pro input
on Jan 6, 2011 at 4:00:06 pm

[Josh Lewis] "I have successfully connected my MacBook Pro (15" Late 2008) to the DVI-I input in analog mode using MiniDisplayPort (MDP) to VGA adapter to VGA cable to DVI-I adapter, however when I use the MDP to DVI adapter in any configuration I see the desktop for 1 to 3 seconds and then it goes away. Is there any way HDCP is being activated?"

The HMX100 does not support HDCP -- and this is almost certainly your problem.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Julian Williamson
on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:40:27 pm

yup, HDCP is the problem. The mini-display port in digital mode seems to require HDCP while the older DVI ports do not. For instance, my mid-2010 MacPro feeds DVI into the HMX100 without a problem. My Late 2010 MacBook Pro won't do it through the mini-display port for the reasons Walter mentioned. Only solution so far I've found is to go analog out of the MacBook into the DVI-I port in the HMX100. Annoying. Anyone finding a hack please post it (shh... I won't tell anyone :-)

Julian Williamson
http://www.blueslandfilms.com

Return to posts index

Tim Newberry
on May 10, 2011 at 5:58:53 pm

We had this same problem last week and resolved it by purchasing a "HDMI Detective Plus" it is made by Gefen.

I have limited knowledge of HDCP, but as I understand it, for a device to be HDCP compatible, it must broadcast a signal to the source telling it that it is HDCP compliant.

To use this box, you plug it into a tv that is compliant and it is able to (through some magical buttons) learn and then repeat the HDCP compliant signal. Then you place the device inline between the imac and the AG-HMX100 and it tricks the imac into thinking the switcher is HDCP compliant.

There is also a DVI detective if you are using that type of connection.

I believe they were a little less than $100 each.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Knecht
on Oct 27, 2012 at 2:13:33 pm

I'm also using an AG-HMX100 and had the same issue.

I checked gefens' website and it says that the "detective" memorizes the EDID parameters and allows HDCP pass through. This means that it's no saving HDCP parameters, only EDID.

I trust you if you says that it worked but I'm wondering how.

Any details ?

Thank's, ben.

Return to posts index

Josh Lewis
on Oct 27, 2012 at 5:30:10 pm

I'm not sure exactly how it works, or even that Apple is implementing the standard as it was intended, but I have experimented with multiple HDMI devices and I can share my experiences.

As you know, when you connect an "HDCP compliant" device like the HMX100 to a MacBook Pro the image from the computer appears for a spit second then goes black. The same thing happens with BluRay players and a PS3 but NOT w/ prosumer video cameras. .

So I tried the Gefen HDMI Detective and it works on the MacBook Pro. I then plugged in the BluRay player (without a BluRay Disc!) and I see the player's welcome/menu splash screen in the multiview monitor. I popped in a commercial BluRay, hit play and the screen went black.

We never had a problem with our 2011 Asus 17" notebook using the HDMI output, but we got a newer model w/ NVIDIA graphics and I have to use the Geffen to get it to work with the HMX100.

I am using a late 2008 MacBook Pro w/ Apples's Minidisplayport to DVI adaptor, your mileage may vary.

Return to posts index

Steve Dangcil
on Dec 10, 2012 at 10:57:38 am

how did you get the Gefen to work with the macbook pro? I have the same set up and i couldn't get it to work. I also see that Roland is coming out with the V-40 that will have better connections.

Steve Dangcil
Vidicam Productions

Return to posts index

Ilya Osichev
on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:04:46 am

Anyone test scheme like this:
Macbook pro USB -> Intensity Shuttle or Intensity Extreme HDMI out -> HDMI in Panasonic HMX-100 ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]