FORUMS: list search recent posts

live streaming needs...

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
allen iturria
live streaming needs...
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:20:35 am

hi everyone. i need to live stream a high quality video to my webpage. i have 2 canon xlh1 w/hd-sdi output and firewire; 2 macbook pro mac os x 10.6.5, 2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo and 2 GB DDR2 sdram.
1 canon 7d.

what would be the best workflow for my equipment. how to conect it all together with a switcher and what kind of swither should i use. How can i deliver best quality to large number of people. wich codec to use, quicktime, wmp or flash

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: live streaming needs...
on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:12:15 pm

You've asked a very big question, but you haven't shared many details about what you actually want to deliver.

[allen iturria] "hi everyone. i need to live stream a high quality video to my webpage. i have 2 canon xlh1 w/hd-sdi output and firewire; 2 macbook pro mac os x 10.6.5, 2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo and 2 GB DDR2 sdram. 1 canon 7"

If you need a relatively simple, web-based service for your webcast, you could check out Ustream.com or justin.tv.

If you want a switcher with integrated webcasting capabilities, look at a NewTek TriCaster or a Sony Anycast. Depending on your needs, you may also need a streaming server vendor.

Personally, in most cases I'd suggest hiring a webcasting vendor to provide this. You just provide them a video and audio feed from your switcher and mixer and they take care of the rest.

[allen iturria] "what would be the best workflow for my equipment. how to conect it all together with a switcher and what kind of swither should i use. How can i deliver best quality to large number of people. wich codec to use, quicktime, wmp or flash"

I think you're looking at this backwards. I'd focus first on what you actually need to deliver (how many people, locations, platform and connectivity assumptions, etc.) and then design the workflow accordingly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

allen iturria
on Dec 15, 2010 at 8:58:37 pm

thanks for your response. first, i need to travel to another countries to reach the events i need to stream so mobile equipment is first. i´m thinking in have each mac connected to each xlh1 and transmit all the video data to the 3 mac to livestream. i dont know if it works. the internet connection will be provided in location but what tipe i need and what is the best for my purpose. Maybe from 15 000 to 20 000 viewers. i need only to stream to my web homepage. i would like to have 2 options of view the stream: 720p and SD maybe 480p.

i need the two cams to switch in the 3 mac and send the final video stream to web. i see a lot of hardware and components to do switching, connecting cameras and so. i just want not to go in so expensive production but something to fit the needs.

again thank you for the response and time!!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 17, 2010 at 4:56:48 pm

[allen iturria] "first, i need to travel to another countries to reach the events i need to stream so mobile equipment is first. i´m thinking in have each mac connected to each xlh1 and transmit all the video data to the 3 mac to livestream. i dont know if it works. the internet connection will be provided in location but what tipe i need and what is the best for my purpose. Maybe from 15 000 to 20 000 viewers. i need only to stream to my web homepage. i would like to have 2 options of view the stream: 720p and SD maybe 480p."

I think that you'd be best served by hiring local staging companies to help with your event, as well as webcasting company that can travel with you.

[allen iturria] "i see a lot of hardware and components to do switching, connecting cameras and so. i just want not to go in so expensive production but something to fit the needs."

You've mentioned that you have a couple cameras and a Mac, but you haven't talked about audio or lighting at all. For a proper switched feed, you'd want your camera operators on headsets, communicating with a video director. You'd want real studio cameras that can be shaded by an engineer. You'd want record decks getting the camera ISOs as well as the switched feed for later use.

You'd send the switched feed to a webcasting company who will come on-site with you and handle the logistics of the Internet connection, its speed, any firewall issues, etc., as well as how to integrate it with your home page. I think that there's a lot involved in getting good looking video to 20,000 viewers, and I'd hate to see a rookie mistake ruin your webcast.

All of these costs add up, but hiring experienced vendors and renting the appropriate gear helps to ensure reliable operation and professional results.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Imran Ghare
on Jan 2, 2011 at 11:47:44 am

Hi Allen,

Walter is right for the most part, but there are some really good cost efficient ways to get this project moving. Feel free to email me at any time if you want to talk, maybe we can exchange numbers or skype.

My email: ighare@simediapro.com

Imran Ghare
Technical Director
SI Media Production
http://www.simediapro.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]