FORUMS: list search recent posts

ScreenPRO II

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Senger
ScreenPRO II
on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:07:16 pm

Good day,
Looking for some feedback on the ScreenPro II's. This box will be used for rentals and staging, mostly staging. I have used the original SP and hated the lip flap. Anyone have any feedback as to whether Folsom/ Barco addressed this issue. I'm used to using DiVentix at the previous company I worked at, and it was fast enough you didn't notice the lip flap (delay between presenter at lectern and IMAG). Any other feedback on this box i.e. image softening. This company is a Barco dealer so no more Analog Way or Christie's for me.
Thanks,
Phil

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: ScreenPRO II
on Dec 6, 2010 at 4:58:56 am

ScreenPRO II's are workhorses -- you'll find them everywhere. I'm not sure what the delay on the original ScreenPRO was, but the ScreenPRO II lists its processing delay at 3 input fields maximum.

It's easy to accumulate delay in a video system as its complexity increases. You can add a delay to your audio to compensate.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Phil Senger
on Dec 6, 2010 at 7:11:51 am

Thanks,
I hear you on the accumulation of delay with added equipment, which leads to my next query, have you or anybody else used SP II as a video switcher. I know it's not ideal, but as we know, sometimes due to budget restraints I can't put in an HS-400. I imagine using both in-line will introduce some delay, then I need my audio tech to correct which is a pia.
Thanks for the reply Walter

Phil Senger

http://www.sw-online.com

Return to posts index

Rob Duncan
on Dec 7, 2010 at 2:05:52 pm

<< Sorry if this is brief -- the COW ate my first answer >>

The ScreenPro series can act as a switcher, but I would not recommend it:

1) there is an input sync lag every time you switch inputs on the PVW bus,
2) the buses are locked while this happens,
3) if you aren't careful and change the PVW input while switching, your change will take and you'll see your next cue up on PGM.

I'll do it if there are only 2 cameras on the shoot, but anything fancier requires a separate console and a separate operator. This is also better for cuing into clips or graphics. If you only have a ScreenPro, and there is an imminent cue, the camera switching has to stop in order to line up that cue.

It comes down to the complexity of the show, and understanding the limitations of the equipment. Oh and budget's usually in there, too!

Rob.
--------------
Freaky People Productions,
Live Event Technical Production
Toronto, CANADA

Return to posts index

Phil Senger
on Dec 7, 2010 at 6:51:01 pm

Thanks Rob,
Does this issue effect the SP II as well? I would have thought Barco/ Folsom would have addressed this issue somewhat. I'm getting a Screen Pro Controller as well, and it has tally on it, you'd think Folsom is trying to market to the camera crowd as well. I am in agreement with the policy on a dedicated video mixer, with a good director and cameramen the recorded product needs very little post production. I would like to not have to use a dedicated video switcher for two cameras and less, especially when the recording is "archival" and the focus is on IMAG. Oh ya, and theres no budget.

Phil Senger

SW Audio+Visual
Vancouver, BC

Return to posts index

Scott Buford
on Dec 13, 2010 at 6:27:34 pm

Phil,

We have a SPRO II in house and I regularly use it for shows with 1 or 2 and even sometimes 3 (if absolutely necessary) cameras. It's obviously not ideal, but most group's budgets aren't ideal either. Once you have acquired, configured and saved your input, the Screen Pro II is much quicker in bringing up inputs to your preview bus than the SPR-2000 is, and I very rarely not able to achieve the look or effect I need. Hope this helps.

-Scott

Return to posts index

Phil Senger
on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:35:24 pm

Thanks Scott, that's the answer I was hoping for.

Phil Senger

SW Audio+Visual
Vancouver, BC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]