FORUMS: list search recent posts

Curved Projection Surfaces!

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Veltri
Curved Projection Surfaces!
on Nov 26, 2010 at 11:36:54 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have done a few searches on the forums and have not really been able to find anything that answers my question!

I have designed video content for a show that will be presented this coming week, however the scenic designer neglected to inform me that the projection surfaces will be curved. There really is not any room in the budget to rent a media server or a watchout seat for the show and I was wondering if anyone had a solution for how to map the video to the curve without having to figure out a map using a grid or something and then going back and re-rendering all of the media. I have access to Max/Msp/Jitter, Isadora, QLab, and some other software. I did all of my creation in After Effects and some of the files took about twenty hours to render!

I hope someone can help me!

Thanks
PJ Veltri

Return to posts index

Mike Golding
Re: Curved Projection Surfaces!
on Nov 27, 2010 at 4:54:47 am

What kind of projectors are on this show?

Christie Twist/Barco Warp software can handle a lot of the curve mapping without the need for rendering the media again.

MBP 17" 2.8 4GB Ram/FCS3
Power Mac Dual 1.8 G5/5.5GB Ram/Radeon 9600/FCS2
Aja io-hd for MBP/ Aja io LA&LD for G5

Return to posts index

Paul Veltri
on Nov 27, 2010 at 6:56:11 pm

Sadly the projectors used on the production are more or less glorified classroom projectors. They are Infocus LP860 projectors. Gosh do I wish I had the budget to get a Christie or Barco. If only the software existed for proprietary projectors.

Thanks
PJ

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Nov 27, 2010 at 8:12:29 pm

Have you looked at the Folsom (now Barco) ScreenShaper? as long as you don't need a resolution above sxga (1280x1024) this may be a viable solution for you.

have a look here:
ScreenShaper 100

and good luck!

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

Valentin Vasiliev
on Nov 27, 2010 at 10:35:40 pm

Maybe try WarpMap
http://playmodes.com/

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 28, 2010 at 6:43:42 pm

Silicon Optix's Image AnyPlace with the eWARP Designer option is another geometry-correcting scaler (similar to the Folsom Screen Shaper) that you may be able to rent.

If none of these suggested solutions work in your budget and you must re-render, you can apply the warp to your existing rendered media (instead of re-rendering with the warp from scratch) to save a lot of time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]