FORUMS: list search recent posts

long firewire cables to hook into Canon HV30

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Dowling
long firewire cables to hook into Canon HV30
on Oct 14, 2010 at 1:53:24 pm

I am having difficulties using a long firewire cable to hook into our Mac Pro.

We are going to shoot a live cycling session in our studio in a few weeks.

Are set up:
Brand new MacPro 12 core 8GB RAM
4 Buses/Cards for FireWire (Each with 800 & 400 inputs)
Unibrain 'Smart' 800 FireWire Cable (130ft)
Wirecast Software

I have a six foot firewire with one end for the Canon HV30 camera (4pin) and the other end is FW800 (9pin). This wire works fine and Wirecast recognizes the camera.

But when I try to use the 130ft 800 FW 'smart' cable with a GGI 9pin female to 4pin male adapter, it does not work. Now I know the Smart cables work. I have tested them on hard drives. and the length is not an issue because they are designed so they do not need repeaters. So i know the issue is the adapter, but I don't know what other way I could hook up the camera.

Maybe one repeater at the end of each smart cable, then use my 9pin to 4pin 6ft wire that i know works?

Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: long firewire cables to hook into Canon HV30
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:56:36 pm

[Dustin Dowling] "But when I try to use the 130ft 800 FW 'smart' cable with a GGI 9pin female to 4pin male adapter, it does not work. Now I know the Smart cables work. I have tested them on hard drives. and the length is not an issue because they are designed so they do not need repeaters. So i know the issue is the adapter, but I don't know what other way I could hook up the camera."

I'm not familiar with the product, so this one's a shot in the dark. Perhaps the connecting a FW hub (or even one of those hard drives) over your smart cable, then daisy-chaining the camera to the hub would help? This "smart cable" may be expecting the connecting device to draw power, which a 9-4 pin adapter would prevent.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Oct 30, 2010 at 11:19:47 am

[Dustin Dowling] "then use my 9pin to 4pin 6ft wire that i know works"
Why don't you try a same gender adapter(barrel) and use the 6' cable as the adapter to feed the 130 and see if that works, the 9to4 pin adapter may be futzed.

Return to posts index

Royce Hildreth
on Feb 19, 2012 at 5:02:01 pm

Dustin,
I don't know if your still following this thread but I'm curious if you figured this out. I all the sudden am having the same issue. However it's been working fine up until recently, so I'm thinking its my cables breaking down.

Thanks
Royce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]