FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording from a switcher

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Evans
recording from a switcher
on Oct 10, 2010 at 4:39:27 am

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to record video live from a video switcher. Right now we just use a tivo like dvr and its really difficult and time consuming to capture the video off of (not to mention the loss in quality).

So what do you guys use to record from your switchers?

I've got a relic of a switcher with only bnc and s-video out, so what would you recommend?

Thanks,
Andrew

Return to posts index

Rob Duncan
Re: recording from a switcher
on Oct 10, 2010 at 7:33:16 pm

Depends on your needs.

For archive with rare access to clips, a DVR is great. Especially one with a HD on board, multiple DVDs can be churned out quickly on demand.

If you need to get to it for editing, or don't want MPEG-2 encoding in the middle of your workflow, find a cheap analog to digital converter box (I use an 8 year old Dazzle Hollywood DV bridge), and capture directly into your favourite media software (QuickTime Pro or iMovie is quick and easy).

Loss of quality is not a huge concern if you're coming out of an older composite-based switcher -- it's already gone!

Rob.

--------------
Freaky People Productions,
Live Event Technical Production
Toronto, CANADA

Return to posts index

Andrew Evans
on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:38:08 pm

Thank you all for your input,

yeah it is a relic of a switcher. i do have an elgato usb capture dongle i could use. its definitely not HD so i don't think a ki pro is necessary. I just need to capture into FCP add graphics and maybe some minor color correction and output to dvd/ and depending on subject matter, broadcast.

-andrew

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 10, 2010 at 11:28:38 pm

You could use a Mac w/FCP and a capture card to go right to a HD in something like ProRes.
If your in NTSC-land, tape is still an affordable alternative. BetaSP decks can be had pretty cheap.
I guess it really depends on your output format, desired quality retention, how much material you want to record, and how often you want to call it back up for use.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2010 at 2:36:00 pm

I agree with the other posters -- what you record to totally depends on the next step in your workflow.

Depending on the show's requirements, we'll record with an AJA Ki Pro (great for direct-to-edit), or record on Betacam SP, DVCAM, DVCPRO HD, or HDCAM. Sometimes we simultaneously record VHS or DVD client screeners.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]