FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on lighthing for live event

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Agustian Hermanto
Need advice on lighthing for live event
on Oct 6, 2010 at 10:12:18 pm

Hellow Creative Cow community!

I have a quick question that probably some of you can shed some lights.

I'm currently working on planning on filming a 4 days live event and have come to a situation where the venue needs to be well and continuously lit.

The distance of where I can actually put lighting is about 11-13 m (to the stage).

So I've been looking around for light source and came about Joker-Bug 400/800.

Has anyone had any experience working with Joker-bug?
If yes, will these lights be able to accommodate my needs?

I'm also thinking of actually getting the soft box accessory with the Joker-Bug, and instead of putting the 11m away from the stage, I'll put the light source on the sides to create a linear effect.

Any advise and thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Need advice on lighthing for live event
on Oct 10, 2010 at 8:01:30 pm

Having done literally hundreds of videos of professional speakers on stage, you don't need the punch of a Joker to light this.

If you want a pretty even spread of illumination without a lot of hassle, set up a couple of Arri 650 FRESNELS at the back of the room in the corners so that the beams cross in the middle of the stage. Barn door them off to keep them from lighting the audience and the ceiling as this is unnecessary. That should give you enough general wide illumination to pull out eye sockets of actors and get a proper exposure with most cameras.

Fresnel lenses are the only technology that can essentially "throw" soft light from a small source to distance.

The rest of the calculation (is two enough or four too many?) relates to what's being filmed. Dark costumes on a dark background needing more light than a light subject against a neutral background, etc.

Good luck.

FCP since NAB 1999
creator: muti-track movies
http://www.starteditingnow.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]