FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Event with 3 Remote Control Cameras

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Dowling
Live Event with 3 Remote Control Cameras
on Sep 21, 2010 at 7:33:33 pm

I need some suggestions/help with a live project I'm working on.

Here is the scenario. I need to shoot a live event, that will be broadcast with Mac using Wirecast. Right now I have two Canon cameras that hook into a video switcher. The video switcher then goes into the Mac via firewire. From there I use Wirecast to operate graphics, pre-rolls, post-rolls, etc.

As of now I have to direct my videographers on each camera, but I would like to be able to have remote control of those cameras, and cut down the number of videographers I need.

I would prefer to have 3 cameras, where I can all control them remotely. What would be the best way to set this up? Should I buy cameras like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/628031-REG/Sony_EVI_HD3V.html (i am also curious of how I could control this camera besides using the handheld remote), or are there other ways.

Any suggestions, ideas, ect. would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Dustin

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Live Event with 3 Remote Control Cameras
on Sep 23, 2010 at 2:28:06 pm

Hi Dustin
I can't comment on that specific camera but will relate a recent experience on a 2-cam shoot with 1 robotic cam.

Event: solo piano player
Setup: 2 piano mics, headset mic, 4 direct boxes, 3 wireless handhelds, IMAG, sound reinforcement, 2 cams, PPT, live switch, monitors, iso record, master record, wired intercoms, remote feed to overflow room, additional lighting.
Crew: me as director/TD, 1 cam op, 1 audio engineer.

This used every bit of 6 hours to setup and soundcheck.

First, consider how much gear you are hauling around, while they may be a cam op, they are a qualified body for setup, testing and strike.

Once I got the hang of the robotic unit, I got some cool shots - But remember you can't anticipate what's going to happen on 3 cameras. If the person stands up, it's dang impossible (even without your other chores) to grab the right camera control and do a smooth move like a cam op would get you. http://grizzlypro.com/index.htm. PTZ, focus & iris on an Ethernet cable! Doesn't get easier than that; although only composite video.

I will say it was the coolest thing to mount on a stand behind the pianist to get close-up hand shots, audience and other stuff.

Maybe you should start out by replacing 1 camera and work up to going all robotic; plus I'd get a 4th as a spare. Plus I'd be leery of anything not hard-wired.

Cam op is off on the far right under the exit sign, remote cam is behind pianist to the left about 7' high (silhouetted in the back uplight).

So I guess what I'm saying is don't undervalue people (I don't think you are) and definitely practice your entire scenario of setting up and working the cams and all your gear on a fake event. Some of those simple remotes can have programmed shots too - big help.

Steve

Return to posts index

Dustin Dowling
on Oct 14, 2010 at 4:40:38 pm

Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:54:36 pm

We are just moving into the Robotic camera field, but for us we will still have operators on each camera, but i did recall a press release i little while ago from panasonic about a all in one switcher robtic camera system, not sure what your budget is but heres the link.

http://panasonic-pbts.cmail4.com/T/ViewEmail/y/03AFFE9BE35D765A/F55E5BC9767...

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 10, 2010 at 6:10:18 pm

First, don't even think about doing this without a preview monitor.

Second, a very real advantage of live camera operators is that you have (well, in most cases) someone who can, when not live to the screen/recorder, "fish" for shots that might not have occurred to you, because they are giving the whole of their attention to their shots, while you are also thinking of switching, recording, and other things.

Return to posts index

Chris Zee
on Dec 20, 2010 at 4:11:23 pm

If you are looking for a high quality camera that is great for remote event coverage, you should check out Canon's BU-50H. Camera's from Canon's BU series have an advantage over Sony Cameras because they are not restricted to Sony's VISCA Protocol. Instead, Canon's BU series cameras use a protocol which is non proprietary and is open to public. This gives you more option in customizing your control panel.

http://www.hdcameraguide.com/images/BU-50H.pdf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]