FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony 4K Projector

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Leong
Sony 4K Projector
on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:31:18 pm

Does anyone have experience with this behemoth?
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-SRXT420/

My questions are -
1. What graphics card would be able to output to that 4K native resolution? Even the ATI Eyefinitiy line seems to output only 2560x1600 max per output. Any ideas?

2. What source material would be suitable? Red 4K? I have no experience with that. Haven't even seen one in my life, therefore, is The Red 4K's output 4096x2160? Would it be the only source material suitable apart from original gfx material from a compositing software like After Effects or Digital Fusion?

PS: Might have a chance to look/check the Sony out in Hong Kong next week (hehehe) so wanna be prepared somewhat.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Scott Buford
Re: Sony 4K Projector
on Aug 12, 2010 at 7:23:09 pm

From what I understand the only way to playback native 4k material is by syncing 4 playback devices

Doremi recently came out with a standalone 4k playback device:

The DSV-J2 with an optional input called MB-4k

http://www.doremilabs.com/dsv.html

It has 4 DVI and 4 HD-SDI outputs that you use simultaneously.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Aug 13, 2010 at 12:09:43 am

Thanks for the info Scott.

My associates' client in Hong Kong has ordered a Quad Media Engine from AvStumpfl (purpose-built PC with 4 synced outputs from their Wings Platinum 4 software). Hope this will suffice to feed 4K inputs into the Sony like the Doremi DSV-J2. Material is a worry at this point.

Shall keep this forum posted.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:24:56 am

The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from! "4K" can refer to any of a variety of different resolutions, depending on aspect ratio.

[Scott Buford] "From what I understand the only way to playback native 4k material is by syncing 4 playback devices. Doremi recently came out with a standalone 4k playback device: The DSV-J2 with an optional input called MB-4k"

4K playback exists, but it's entirely limited to the digital cinema market. DoReMi has had a 4K playback device for some time -- the DCP-2K4 Digital Cinema Server. Sony has the LMT-100 media server. Both play Digital Cinema Packages (DCP), which require an expensive DCP authoring package to create and encode.

[Thomas Leong] "What source material would be suitable? Red 4K? I have no experience with that. Haven't even seen one in my life, therefore, is The Red 4K's output 4096x2160? Would it be the only source material suitable apart from original gfx material from a compositing software like After Effects or Digital Fusion?"

Red's 4K is 4096x2304. As you may have read, its REDCODE workflow is a bit different than other video cameras.

Film is still around, too -- you could shoot film and scan it at 4K.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your findings!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:41:38 pm

Just saw a couple of REDs in a 3-D config close up today in Singapore!! An over-under mirror setup.

But bad news is that the Quad Media Engine from Austria won't arrive in Hong Kong till about 2 weeks' time, so can't get to test the Sony T420 next week while I'm there. Will have to be the next trip when I have to be there to receive the Quad Media Engine and check it before delivery to client. Hope my associates can still arrange for the Sony then.

Return to posts index

Scott Buford
on Aug 18, 2010 at 8:02:28 pm

Walter is absolutely correct. I should have been more clear. I was referring to non digital cinema options because I assumed that was not appropriate for Thomas's workflow.

Thank you for the clarification Walter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]