FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switcher/Scaler: Barco ScreenPro II HD; Edirol V-440HD; Grass Valley Indigo?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Goodley
Switcher/Scaler: Barco ScreenPro II HD; Edirol V-440HD; Grass Valley Indigo?
on Jul 25, 2010 at 1:02:31 am

For: Live Presentations/Shows

I'm looking for a switcher/scaler that can take:

2-3 computer/VGA inputs
2 HD Video inputs

...and scale/switch them. PiPs, nice fades/wipes/etc., and LOW latency/delay (under 3 frames) are musts. The ability to have two separate Prgm outs at different resolutions, one for projection, one to recording would be nice.

It looks like the Grass Valley Indigo would be my best bet, but I cannot find if the large delays have been fixed/bettered. Does anyone know?

Any comments, opinions, or suggestions are welcomed!

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
Re: Switcher/Scaler: Barco ScreenPro II HD; Edirol V-440HD; Grass Valley Indigo?
on Jul 26, 2010 at 6:20:15 pm

Analog Way has a variety of products that will fill the bill. They can be a bit pricey but they are workhorses. Edirol has a nice switcher (V-440HD) that does a very nice job and is more cost effective.
I must admit that I am a Edirol fan as I have used and own a lot of their products and find they make a good reliable product at a reasonable price.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Steve Wylie
Re: Switcher/Scaler: Barco ScreenPro II HD; Edirol V-440HD; Grass Valley Indigo?
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:27:38 am

Hi David,

I use the ScreenPRO II and GV Indigo regularly, and in my opinion, the Indigo is best if most of your inputs are cameras or video-level sources, but I find the ScreenPRO II superior if most of your content runs at data level.

One issue to be aware of with the Indigo is that by the time you route the SD bus to the HD bus, you add a fairly significant delay - more than that of the ScreenPRO II.

The down side of the ScreenPRO II is that without the external controller, the ability to configure, store, and recall PIPs and such is very limited - but with the controller, it's a great option.

Also, keep in mind that the Indigo only has two DVI inputs - and those are somewhat limited - the sizing/scaling/configuration is fairly basic and more oriented towards HDTV-style sources rather than the unusual demands of presentation AV.

Best regards,
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]