FORUMS: list search recent posts

play a 4,800 x 600 video across 2 graphics cards outputs

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxim Moisseev
play a 4,800 x 600 video across 2 graphics cards outputs
on Jul 21, 2010 at 5:22:16 pm

Hi,
I've recently encountered a problem I can't resolve now.
How to play a 4,800 x 600 video file across 2 graphics cards outputs with a triplehead to go on each on a PC, using openGL output?
Is there a player capable of this?

http://www.transscreen.ru - clear projection films and touchscreen.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: play a 4,800 x 600 video across 2 graphics cards outputs
on Jul 21, 2010 at 6:45:00 pm

That's ONE video file assigned to 2 gfx cards each with a TripleHead2Go.

I only know of one software-cum-player that allows you to assign one file to two gfx cards (max 4 outputs, 2 from each card), but not sure if it works with a TripleHead2Go. It is AvStumpfl's Wings Platinum 4 Multi-display version with 4 outputs, read "2 dual-display licences (USB-keys)". The software will auto sense the 2 licences and combine to give you 4 outputs from one PC. BUT...price might be a factor for you.

One possible alternative is freeware Multiscreener from zachpoff.com. It can run Server and Client player on one PC, but seems to work only with Quicktime-playable video files, eg. .mov, .qt, .mp4, etc. There is an option in lower right corner for 'Device Options' - not sure what it is as my laptop does not have 2 gfx cards, but at a guess, hope it allows one to select the gfx card or output device for the Server and the Client separately.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Jul 21, 2010 at 6:48:16 pm

Forgot to add -

With Multiscreener, you will need to pre-split your ONE video file into 2 files (with After Effects).

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 22, 2010 at 7:31:24 pm

[Maxim Moisseev] "I've recently encountered a problem I can't resolve now. How to play a 4,800 x 600 video file across 2 graphics cards outputs with a triplehead to go on each on a PC, using openGL output? Is there a player capable of this?"

That seems like it'd be very taxing on a single computer -- it's the sort of thing I'd usually split across a network. I'd be curious to hear if Thomas's suggestions work for your application.

The only other thing that I'd note is that 4096 (4K) is a "magic number" in video: OpenGL and DX9 hardware is typically limited to 4K x 4K (though some newer OpenGL and DX10 cards double that in each dimension to 8K x 8K). Some codecs may not support raster sizes beyond 4K, so compression and playback could be a challenge, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Jul 22, 2010 at 7:43:14 pm

There is no magic in this number, Walter.
This is maximum size of the Direct3D texture, so if player outputs using OpenGl it's a limitation, as it treats any raster as a texture.
There's a simple player for OSX - MSAQTPlayer, that can override this limit. But seems no one for PC.

http://www.transscreen.ru - clear projection films and touchscreen.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 22, 2010 at 7:48:18 pm

I've used the term "magic" colloquially, of course. Again, note that the texture size has been increased to 8192x8192 in DX10.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:00:03 pm

[Maxim Moisseev] "There's a simple player for OSX - MSAQTPlayer, that can override this limit."

I've never used this tool before -- thanks for brining it up. Do you have any experience with it?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]