FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Switching + Camera Capture

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kasey Allen
Live Switching + Camera Capture
on Jul 20, 2010 at 7:49:59 pm

We're starting to do a lot more event capturing... conventions and so on. We need to come up with a solution that would enable us to continue to capture to the cameras for possible editing later, but also to get a live switcher set up so we can do live switching to a computer or hard drive for more immediate publishing ability.

We use the XDCAM series... a shoulder camera, the 350L (which uses the optical disks), plus two EX1 cameras (which use SxS cards). We edit with FCP-S2, but have just purchased Adobe's Master Collection, so we have Premiere as well if that matters.

We want to be able to switch between all three cameras, and have a variable ability to mix from one to 6 channels of audio. Live green screening would be nice too, but that's not a deal breaker.

Can someone recommend a system and briefly describe a workflow for this? What type of budget should I expect to attribute to the gear?

Thanks, all -

KC Allen

KC Allen
Allen Film & Video

"My name is actually spelled KC...really...it is..."

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Live Switching + Camera Capture
on Jul 21, 2010 at 2:43:41 pm

I am currently setting up an ultra-mobile HD production unit with several Sony XDCAM and NXCAM cameras. I have on order a Panasonic AW-HS50N SDI switcher ($4K) to do the live switching. And I will record the live-switched program on an AJA Ki Pro recorder ($3.5K)

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Aug 13, 2010 at 9:34:18 pm

2 products i have looked at using in the past are a Tricaster TCXD300

http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/tricaster_tcxd300.php

and the more expensive Broadcast pix http://www.broadcastpix.com/Products/Slate-100.html

They are All-in-one production in a box tools, they will let you switch live video playback clips add graphics, and i believe both have the ability to green screen and do virtual sets. Your work flow here would be record all your cams via SXS or optical disc for your iso and edit later. with the switcher you would record your line cut, which of course can be imported into your NLE

these can get a bit spendy tricaster HD starts around $14,000 list. But they are powerful little tools

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Matthew Seilback
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:18:38 pm

Hey KC,

Did you ever find a solution that would enable you to record a live switched feed AND record a digital copy of the raw camera feeds at the same time? We're having these questions too for live event capture and have not found anything suitable... Would love to hear where your at with this!

Thanks much,
Matt

Return to posts index

Kasey Allen
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:15:58 am

As a matter of fact, we have not been able to find anything that is affordable, in regards to the amount of this kind of work we do. We typically shy away from event production, because either it's not something that happens often enough or we don't want to get roped into doing dance recitals and junk just to be able to pay for the gear. It needs to be a robust yet VERY mobile solution, reasonably priced and easy to transport from city to city.

KC

KC Allen
Allen Film & Video

"My name is actually spelled KC...really...it is..."

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 10, 2010 at 10:50:11 pm

My current setup is:

2 Sony NX5U's

Panasonic AW-HS50N Live Switcher

Mackie 1402VLZ Pro

Matrox MX02 LE w/ MAX

17" Macbook Pro

I record each camera internally on 32GB Class 10 SDHC cards for backup. Each camera is input HD/SDI into Panasonic HS50, switched signal through MX02 is captured in FCP. MX02 gives HDMI to record monitor, HS50 gives DVI to HDMI to Preview monitor.

Hope this info is helpful, I'm also open to advice on my setup.

Best,
Dave
PSV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]