FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audiovisual event in a tent mid-day

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Geary
Audiovisual event in a tent mid-day
on Jun 3, 2010 at 11:30:53 pm

Hello all.

I noticed a similar discussion here but I'd like to see if more options are available.
We are doing (next week) a presentation outside, under a tent for 150 people.
Tent, as far as I know, is standard party tent, 30x50 (putting 2 together).
The presenters will be showing video clips and Powerpoint. I am specing 4 50" plasmas due to space restrictions and ambient light issues (side walls are clear on tent)
I was told to consider rear projection for the front of room and plasmas for back half of room.
We would have to pipe and drape and basically build a "doghouse" for this. Is it worth the effort/cost? or are plasmas best bet for this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob King
Re: Audiovisual event in a tent mid-day
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:47:09 am

What time of day does this happen?

What is the orientation of the screen in with respect to the sun?

Do you have the budget for an LED wall?

What is going on the screens?

Return to posts index

Ken Geary
on Jun 4, 2010 at 2:44:12 pm

Next Friday, NY area. 11AM - 1PM
Powerpoint and video rolls from DVD
No budget no local avail LED wall option (good option though)
and I understand LED walls poor on Powerpoint/text, good for video

leaning heavily towards one 7.5 x 10 rear projected screen, 16 K or stacked 8K projectors, pipe and drape surrounding entire projection area.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Jun 5, 2010 at 4:21:23 am

I know a great video guy. He always puts it this way:

An 16K projector is ... really bright,
the sun is ................. really, really, really, really, REALLY bright!

The sun wins, everytime.

Even building a doghouse out of drape will only work if you're able to create a tight seal on the top side of the doghouse to prevent all of the light from leaking through... this is very difficult to do using just pipe and drape hardware.

I would recommend going with the plasmas. And I would think that number of displays will be just fine for an audience of that size.

And next time recommend to the client that an outdoor lunch isn't the best spot for a meeting, especially not in the middle of june in NYC. I mean, isn't it going to be hot and humid?

good luck!

joel

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 5, 2010 at 7:23:55 pm

Consider also that the roof of a typical white "party pavilion" tent is like a giant soft-light that you can't turn off. When we order tents for events where video will be used, we specify opaque tops to make it dark enough for the screen to be viewed.

Return to posts index

Bob King
on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:10:33 am

look at doing a video wall with something like this... http://bit.ly/a7CNfh

You would get the benefit of the LCD and the size of the projection. You would need a video wall processor to handle the edge butting or you could do it with a Spyder or Encore.

-bk

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 7, 2010 at 12:40:58 pm

One note on safety -- support requirements are different outside. Drape panels and the screen itself can catch the wind like a sail.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ken Geary
on Jun 7, 2010 at 1:12:06 pm

To all who replied.

Thank you very much, very informative.
Our budget would not allow a video wall or LED or even plasmas larger than 50"

I am awaiting more deatils today on tent options. If we can get a larger tent we can bring the whole rear projection inside.
I appreciate the wind vs drape advice especailly after yesterdays tornado watch (lots of wind/no storms though).
Ideally, I'd like to go with blacked out rear projection for the front and if we have room (there will be a bunch of fans inside tent) add two 42" plasmas for the back rows.
This way I can also see for myself what works best in these conditions for future reference.
I have forewarned management any display will most likely be a bit washed out for this event and we're doing the best we can given the short time frame.

Ken

Return to posts index

Ken Geary
Re: Audiovisual event in a tent mid-day FINAL RESULTS
on Jun 14, 2010 at 2:37:00 pm

To all who helped on this thread.

The meeting went very well aside from last minute mic and sequence changes...
The 16K rear-projection on 10x 7.5 screen worked very well.
It was so much better having all in the tent (we ended up with a 80' x 40 ' white tent with white side walls). The weather was in our favor, 72 and partly cloudy, but even when the sun came out the screen brightness/contrast was still vary good.
We had over 150 people in tent, visibility good from anywhere.
One word of warning, there was a support cable at the 20' point right in front of screen! I did not expect this, so we basically just disconnected it. If we needed the cable, we would of added extra cables to box out the screen frame.
So word of warning, there can be several obstacles when doing A/V in a tent and the more you know about the tent you are renting the better.

Thanks again to all...this is an awesome forum, special thanks to CreativeCow!

Ken

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 14, 2010 at 5:35:17 pm

Thanks for posting back with your results, Ken -- it's always great to hear what the final solution was.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Marc Nowinski
on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:53:10 pm

good to hear that your event worked out well. We have used rear projection many times in Europe, either in a tent or completely outside. For the above mentioned security issues as well as to have complete darkness we use an inflatable cube that is available in screen sizes from 40 to 280 sqft. Can be used for audiences of up to 10.000 viewers.

Return to posts index

HoangNhan Mai
on Aug 7, 2012 at 2:41:50 pm

Hi Ken,

I have a similar event that I need to bring the A/V outdoor and broadcasting from 10AM to 7PM. I was quoted $5000 for a Jumbotron, which is way way over our budget. So I was thinking if you could share some of your pictures and the design of the "doghouse" that you was using. Thanks

Return to posts index

Ken Geary
on Aug 8, 2012 at 11:57:53 am

We actually kept everything inside tent. The "doghouse" was actually just a lot of black drape both on sides and on TOP to keep light from bleeding into the rear projection.
Use a bright projector with a wide angle lens.

If you want to eamil me directI can send a couple of photos and our diagram for layout.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]