FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video display on a banner

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Koyama
Video display on a banner
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:50:28 pm

I'm looking at creating a video to be displayed on a 4 feet by 18 feet (3456 px by 15552 px) banner.

I was going to use After Effects for the video and compose it in a pixel dimension that is proportional to the banner size. So I was thinking: 720 px by 3240 px. However if we're playing the video from a projector that is hooked up to a computer , is that possible? Or do I have to make the video fit within a regular screen size, say 720 by 480?

Also we want to make sure the video is not pixelated. Since it'll be displayed in such a large dimension.

What would you guys suggest??

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Video display on a banner
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:45:41 pm

[Kate Koyama] "I'm looking at creating a video to be displayed on a 4 feet by 18 feet (3456 px by 15552 px) banner. I was going to use After Effects for the video and compose it in a pixel dimension that is proportional to the banner size. So I was thinking: 720 px by 3240 px. However if we're playing the video from a projector that is hooked up to a computer , is that possible? Or do I have to make the video fit within a regular screen size, say 720 by 480"

My general rule of thumb is that the display system determines the playback system requirements, and the playback system determines the content requirements.

How will the projection system work? Is it going to be a single projector, or is it going to be a blended projection system? What is the native resolution of the projector or projection system?

Once you know that resolution, you can determine the playback system. Then you can design your video to those specs.

For example, you might use a single projector at 1920x1080 and mask off the top and bottom portions of projection. You could choose to feed it with Blu-ray. You could design in a 1920x426 comp, and nest that in a 1920x1080 comp for output.

[Kate Koyama] "Also we want to make sure the video is not pixelated. Since it'll be displayed in such a large dimension. "

How far away from the screen do you expect your audience to be?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kate Koyama
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:26:24 pm

these are the specs I received:

16 x 9 ratio, portrait
(landscape turned clockwise, 90 degrees)
1280 x 720 resolution (720p HD)
Delivered as Blu-ray

So I'm doing this video on after effects, Am i correct to assume this:

So the video will have a custom preset with the following dimensions:
1280 in height by 720 width with (locked aspect ratio to 9:16 (0.56))
The pixel aspect ratio with the square pixels.

I've never done a Blu-ray disc. But I'm assuming this can be done using
encore??? Or can I use the H.264 Blu-ray format from After effects?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:58:54 pm

Your plan for working in AE in 9:16 sounds good. For output, you'll need to create a regular 16x9 comp, drop your working 9:16 comp into it, and rotate 90 degrees to match the screen.

You'll need to determine what frame rate to use. Blu-ray is capable of 23.976p, 24p, 50p, and 59.94p at 1280x720. Some consider the lower frame rates to be more "cinematic" -- but I think motion graphics look a lot smoother at the higher frame rates. The location (NTSC region or PAL region) where this will be played back will also be a factor in this decision.

Encore does Blu-ray authoring.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Kate Koyama
on Apr 29, 2010 at 2:25:43 pm

sorry one more question about this:

I saw we can render H.264 Blue ray or MPEG-Blue ray on after effects. What is the difference between those?

and the other question is if I render the motion in one of this formats, can I just burn a DVD with the motion without authoring it?

Return to posts index

Kate Koyama
on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:12:18 pm

OK. So the video dimensions were changed.

Now I'm designing for a 480 by 1080 composition size. However the total resolution is 1920 by 1080 (the remaining space will be left "blank".

My plan is to make the motion in a 480 by 1080 composition and then nest that in a 1920 by 1080.
The guy who gave me the dimensions told me to have the pixel frame rate should be 59.94 and it should be non square pixel. Here's what he's been told "Depending what the source was, they may have developed it in square pixel aspect ratio. Video is typically non-square so there may be conversion issues. The video will need to be non-square to burn to blu-ray. "

So here's what I'm thinking the after effects settings will be for the video:
Custom (preset)
16:9 (1.78)
pixel aspect ratio: leave it in square pixel and let the DVD authoring (TOAST, ENCORE) translate it to non square pixels. Is this even possible?
and I'll change the frame rate to be 59.94 (even though the DVD authoring software can do that correct??)

Then use TOAST or ENCORE for the Blu ray DVD authoring.

Am I correct in the setting above?

and the other question is:
If I choose the after effects preset HDTV 1080 29.97 and leave everything as it is (so frame rate 29.97 and pixel aspect ratio: square pixel)

and then render it as a regular quicktime animation. I can use ENCORE or TOAST to make it a blue ray disc, right? and then the frame rate and pixel aspect ratio will be change to conform to the blu ray disc correct? (to 59.97 rate and non square pixel)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:40:50 pm

[Kate Koyama] "Here's what he's been told "Depending what the source was, they may have developed it in square pixel aspect ratio. Video is typically non-square so there may be conversion issues. The video will need to be non-square to burn to blu-ray. ""

That's inaccurate advice. Blu-ray uses square pixels for 1920x1080. It's possible to author an anamorphic Blu-ray disc at 1440x1080 with non-square pixels, but you'd be needlessly sacrificing horizontal resolution. You can work in square pixels throughout your workflow.

Blu-ray does 59.94i, so you could work at 29.97 without fields.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Kate Koyama
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:58:56 pm

Great!! Thank you so much!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>