FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mini DisplayPort to TripleHead2Go Digital to Encore

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Sippel
Mini DisplayPort to TripleHead2Go Digital to Encore
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:02:49 pm

I'm building Keynote presentations for a blended widescreen show at 2560 x 768. There will be two stacks of projectors driven by an Encore. My client is supplying two show computers which are 27" iMacs. I planned to go out of the iMac Mini DisplayPort via a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter into a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital running in Dual Head mode and from there send DVI to the Encore. I checked the Matrox web site to see if this can be done and couldn't find a clear answer. Seems to me it ought to work.

Matrox makes a TH2G DisplayPort model but I'd rather not buy two of those if the TH2G Digital boxes I already own will work.

Anyone have any experience going DisplayPort via DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter to TripleHead2Go Digital?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Sippel : Videograph, Inc. : PowerPoint and Keynote for Live Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Mini DisplayPort to TripleHead2Go Digital to Encore
on Mar 15, 2010 at 12:45:28 am

Hi Mike,

Sorry we were never able to catch up in Phoenix last year; I'll drop you a line when I'm back there in a couple months.

I think that this can be done; I did some design work for a show like this before the new DP TH2G was announced, if I recall correctly, the operator was using new MBPs. This post also suggests that it works.

If you won't be able to test it yourself, let me know, and I'll try to arrange a test later this week.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike Sippel
on Mar 15, 2010 at 4:47:26 pm

Hey Walter, great to see you're moderating this group. Yes, look me up when you're in town!

The link you provided suggests that it can be done, which is good news. Won't know for sure until I get everything patched and sending to the Encore. The show loads in April 23 so I have time to figure this out, but if anyone can shed some light on the topic please chime in!

I found an interesting article here: http://www.serialdigital.com/tag/mac/ describing an issue with DisplayPort and HDCP-compliant devices. If the DP version of the TH2G is an HDCP-compliant device (I'm guessing it is) then connecting to the Encore with it could be a problem. The way I planned to connect (Mini DisplayPort out via Mini-DP-to-Dual-Link-DVI adapter to TH2G Digital to Encore) might actually be the best way to go.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Wylie
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:22:05 am

Hi Mike,

Nice to see someone found my blog (Serial Digital)!

I'm interested to know if you had any success with this - I've used a TH2GO on an older MacBook Pro with DVI output as a background to Encore successfully - I'm guessing you would need Apple's Mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI rather than the standard single link one?

Hope you had some success!

cheers,
Steve Wylie

Return to posts index

Mike Sippel
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:43:57 pm

Hey Steve,

I did end up using a mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI Adapter to TH2G Digital and it worked great - didn't have to buy a set of TH2G DisplayPort boxes for this project.

I enjoyed reading your blog too, good info.

Best wishes,
mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]