FORUMS: list search recent posts

Signal flow for band vocal mics

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kendall
Signal flow for band vocal mics
on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:12:56 pm

Our church just purchased a couple more EQs and we now have enough to cover all of our vocal mics (eight total, I believe). The way we currently have the system set up is that all of our mics go straight into the mixer, then from the mixer we have four sub-outs going to four different EQs, then to amps for four monitors. We also have the Main Left and Right out, going into individual EQs, then to the amps for the Mains.

My question is, will it be best to run each of the vocal mics into an EQ first, then to the mixer and from the mixer, the outs going straight to the amps? I'm thinking this would be the best setup because right now if one mic has a specific frequency that is partial to feedback (let's just say 500Hz, for example), then when we notch that frequency out of the mains, it gets notched out for every mic.

Let me know if I'm right or wrong on this. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Signal flow for band vocal mics
on Mar 15, 2010 at 12:49:41 am

Unfortunately, we don't generally see a lot of posts on audio here; you might get some better feedback (pun absolutely intended) on the Audio Professionals forum.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Sean Kendall
on Mar 15, 2010 at 12:56:56 pm

Ok, thank you.

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:35:25 pm

hi shaun,
Let me start off by saying that my experience is mostly working with video. But from watching all of the audio engineers I work with, I would say that yes, you are correct.

By inserting the EQ on each individual channel and making your adjustments there, instead of on your Mains EQ, you'll have more overall flexibility and control when it comes to your mix. Cutting a frequency out of your mix completely to fix a single channel is overkill.

joel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]