FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-projector

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Chan
Multi-projector
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:03:16 pm

I am thinking about using two projectors for a screen size of 17 X 36 at my church.

The projectors are roughly 42 ft from the screen.

I have to edge blend the two projected images to form one seamless image (say, a wide screen movie).

I also have to either warp the images or keystone both vertically and horizontally, since the projectors will not be centered on the screen.

I will also be doing virtual multi-screen presentations or live worship using this setup.

Anyone has experience doing something like this before? Could you give me some advice on how to do that?

Do I need a scaler/warp/edge blend unit to do all this? Specifically (make and model number) what hardware or software do I need?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Multi-projector
on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:46:30 pm

I'm not a projectionist, so others here might have more to add, but I'd look into doing this with a single 16:9 projector stack, overscanning your screen. I'd think that the amount of keystoning that you're suggesting will make blending a challenge.

A system like Vista Spyder or Barco Encore will handle the blending and allow you to arrange your video sources on your screen, either full-screen or as PIPs.

Blended widescreen is complicated. There are many considerations here, depending on your physical space, budget, and requirements, and I think you'd be well-served to hire an integrator to help you evaluate your options.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:01:18 pm

in deed edgeblend setup scream for experience.
it's not only knowhow but also the fingerspitzengefuhl.
overscanning a 16:9 stack is a solution but maybe making a widescreen with 4:3projectors overscanning the top of the piture can make the tilt of the projector's dissapear making blending easier. i'm in the metric world so i have to sketch this because feet's say nothing to me.
for the layering i would suggest Spyder. but encore is also a good solution (matter of taste)

i guess your budget is also a very big factor in your design

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Bruce Wheaton
on Jan 12, 2010 at 3:11:39 am

Do all your projectors really need to be that far off axis? Horizontally as well as vertically? That's a pretty crazy projection setup.

Anyway, I would look at using a single HD source of 1920 x 1080 and using in-projector blending and warping - Christie Twist springs to mind.

Otherwise, you'll have to discuss what input sources you need to handle a bit more. There isn't really a single scaling/processing solution that will do everything you want, but if your sources permit, there are playback solutions that might fit.

Regards,

Bruce Wheaton

Regards,

Bruce Wheaton
http://www.synchromeshDDR.com

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:23:00 am

You are not going to want to try and blend projectors being off axis that much. Another thing to consider is if this is front projection and anyone stands in front of it, they will be getting the image projected on them which does not work very well. The top view of your sketch is incorrect; typically the projectors are centered in the two regions of the wide screen they are projecting on to.

You might try and download the Encore configuration software and play around with the screen dimensions and projector resolutions.

A single or double stacked 16:9 projector is probably going to be your best bet.

-mark

Return to posts index

Anupam Saikia
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:41:50 am

Is there any possibilities to get 2K resolution digital cinema projections using two HD or XVGA projectors ?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:25:28 pm

[Anupam Saikia] "Is there any possibilities to get 2K resolution digital cinema projections using two HD or XVGA projectors ?"

2K resolution is 2048x1080. You can't get that with two XGA projectors, because there isn't enough vertical resolution. I suppose you could theoretically do that with two HD projectors at 1920x1080, but the overlap would be over 90%, and I doubt it would meet digital cinema standards anyway.

Why not just use a single 1920x1080 HD projector, or rent a real 2K projector if absolutely necessary?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]