FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad sound when recording.

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Hagan
Bad sound when recording.
on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:57:14 am

Recently I have been filming an event with my JVC GY-HD100. To record the sound I used a rifle mic in input 1 and a second mic in input 2 of the cameras xlr inputs. The first half of the day was recorded without any problems; however the problems began once I changed to a new tape. Before the speeches began the sound was flawless. I then changed the tape, went outside to get an establishing shot of the building and then went inside, waited for about an hour and recorded the speeches. Two hours later I went to another venue to record a networking event. As I was setting up the guys dealing with a PA system requested the venue shut down some sort of electrical / sound system within the room as it was causing major problems with their amplifiers creating static and hissing. I spent an hour filming and then finished.

It wasn’t until I captured my footage that I realised that there was a huge problem with the sound on my last tape. The sound would be good, and then begin to breakdown and eventually there would be no sound at all. Then the sound would be good again and then repeat the breakdown, cutting out and back to good again, and so on and so on. It was the same on both tracks for the two microphones. HOWEVER, the visuals were perfect.

Has this occurred anywhere else?

The only explanation that is rattling around my head is:

1. The tape was dodgy -(but why was the visual quality still good?)
2. When I took the camera back inside from outdoors some condensation was on the heads -(but why was the visual quality still good?)
3. There is a fault on the camera -(but it has never happened before or since)
4. Inside one of the rooms, either under the floor of the first venue or in the walls of the second room, there was very strong power lines or cables creating some sort of interference or magnetic field -(but why was the visual quality still good?)

Any thoughts or experiences of this happening or any advice would be greatly appreciated and give me some piece of mind, and also any tips for it to not happen again would be helpful.

Andrew Hagan

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Bad sound when recording.
on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:15:26 pm

Can you post any of the footage/recording for us to listen to/look at?

That would be most helpful.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Kelley Tuck
Re: Bad sound when recording.
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:58:44 pm

Hey Andrew,

Did you preview the audio input you were getting at that second venue before recording it: through headphones, etc.? It would be helpful to know this information, because if you didn't preview it, it's possible that it wasn't working that entire time and one of your mics or even your mic inputs went faulty. Have you recorded anything since that event with no problems? Answers to these questions would help us zone in to identify the source of the issue. Hope you can find the problem.

Agape,
Kelley D. Tuck

“And so, since God in His mercy has given us this wonderful ministry, we never give up.”
2 Corinthians 4:1 (NLT)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]