FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Event General -- HD Projection and Cameras

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tanner Hearne
Live Event General -- HD Projection and Cameras
on Oct 21, 2009 at 8:57:27 pm

Hi Creative COW Forum,

I am building a setup from the ground up for an event that will take place weekly on a college campus. We will rent out an auditorium and bring in mostly our own gear. (Which we will then strike afterwards.)

My current issue is how to use two HD projectors, one on each side, using live video and overlaying lower third graphics. With that, I plan on starting with two HD cameras shooting a live feed to the screens.

I currently have been looking at the JVC GY-HM100 or GY-HM700 for the cameras. Mainly because they are portable and I could use them easily for video creation (advertisements, shorts, etc.) for the event.

For projectors, I'm not sure if I want to go for a $10,000+ Christie just yet, but I still would like to have HD quality visual.

Is it possible to do all of this with a budget of maybe $30,000?

Projectors, cameras, matrixes, cabling, everything.

I do know some people in the professional field, but I myself only have 2 years of non-professional experience. I thought I would ask here first and get a conversation going so that I might gain a little more understanding of what this would look like.

Thanks,
Tanner

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Live Event General -- HD Projection and Cameras
on Oct 22, 2009 at 11:24:13 pm

Between the two cameras you mentioned i would personal go with the jvc 700s and purchase some studio configurations. IE focus, zoom controls, and monitors. You should look at adding some sort of video switcher for keying your lower thirds and switching camera feeds. as for the switcher and graphics you could go with either a Broadcastpix slate 100 http://www.broadcastpix.com/Products/Slate-100.html or a Newtek xd300 http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/xd300.php

Don't worry about getting crazy projectors just get some that project 1920x1080.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Eric Lagerlof
Re: Live Event General -- HD Projection and Cameras
on Oct 25, 2009 at 4:48:02 pm

Christies don't come cheap and you will probably have to price lenses separately. I agree with Mike, don't go nuts on the projectors unless you have to, mid-priced Sanyos and the like might do just fine. Make sure that the output of your video mixer and the input of your projectors match, i.e. HD-SDI to HD-SDI. If they don't, or you are going to do anything beyond HD video and/or mix 720-1080 sources or add computer data, a Folsom/Barco image pro or presentation pro might be necessary. ( Just things to think about, otherwise might be not needed.) Under any circumstances, a video DA would be handy.

Also, do you intend to direct the camera operators?. A "PL" system like a clear com system should be added if that is the case. (Do the 700's have an optional studio kit and would that be handy?) And don't forget audio! Even if you are plugging into a house PA, your own mixer and cables should be added.

In short, think through your signal chain VERY CAREFULLY, step by step. That wil definately help with your gear choices. Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]