FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice needed for purchase of syncable HD media players

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Hughes
Advice needed for purchase of syncable HD media players
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:05:07 pm

I'm looking to purchase a pair of HD media players that can be synced for a two screen gallery installation via hdmi. The content is no longer than 15 mins and I'm prepared to put up with a frame lag of 4-5 frames. I've been pointed towards a pair of Roku BrightSign HD-1010 but this is over my budget which is approx £700. Are there more affordable options out there or do I just need to man-up and spend the full £1000?
I currently have a pair of Denon v300 with a dsyn2 system that has served me well but was looking to upgrade for screen quality.
Any pointers or alternatives out there?
Thanks.
Al

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Advice needed for purchase of syncable HD media players
on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:55:27 pm

Do you really need the HD1010? It looks like the HD210 might do what you need (HDMI & network synchronization) at a lower price. See their product comparison sheet for details.

I haven't used these units yet, but others on this forum hold them in high regard.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Allan Hughes
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:32:28 pm

Hi Walter,
Thanks for the swift reply. You're right, the HD210 does look like it would do the job OK, I think that may have been the device I based my initial budget on too. Not sure if I'm being oversold on the HD1010, probably only because I mentioned sync over rs232 as opposed to ethernet (which the 210 uses). I'll get back to the supplier and see if that works.
thanks,
Al

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:22:16 pm

Hi Al,

I was curious to see if you went with the HD210, and if so, how well the sync-over-Ethernet worked.

Thanks,

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

Allan Hughes
on Nov 1, 2009 at 2:25:12 pm

Hi Walter, thanks for checking in.
I haven't made a decision yet. I contacted the dealer and he said that even if I wanted to run on the ethernet option with the 210 I would still need a 1010 to run as the master unit (?).
He tells me that scripts need to be written and installed for the devices and that there is usually an extra charge for this service through the supplying company (BrightSign) but that because my video is no longer than 15mins and I'm prepared to live with 4 frames of lag that he can skip that option, Although at the price I think I should expect full frame-accuracy. I may as well stick with my Denon/D-Syn system and live with the picture quality.
I'm meeting with a technician in a gallery this week who has recommended units by Audionation, I have a feeling I may get a better price if I place an order through an institution. The exhibition isn't until the end of November so I've a little time to think over but not much!
I'll see...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 2, 2009 at 3:36:45 pm

Thanks for the update, Al. I'm trying to get a handle on the pros and cons of different solutions in this space, so I'd really appreciate hearing about your final decision. Thanks again,

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

Allan Hughes
on Nov 12, 2009 at 11:19:51 am

I've just placed an order for a pair of the ROKU 410s through Audionation that has come in right on my budget. They sync through serial/gpio.
I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Return to posts index

Allan Hughes
on Jan 12, 2010 at 9:58:49 am

Just finished my exhibition with the Roku Brightsign 410s and can say I have been very pleased. I had a couple of teething problems getting the GPIO cable wired up correctly but Audionation were very helpful and had me set up right. The Roku forum also pitched in with some assistance: The first iteration of the loop had the 'master' run the 'slave' unit 1 sec late but then from the second iteration ran perfectly in sync for the duration; I had neglected to 'comment out' a line of code in the scripts that inserted a pause on start-up.
I'd like to see the script authoring program ported to OSX, it's currently available for Windows only but we'll see. Audionation provided me with my script and kept me straight on suitable compression formats.
Picture quality was great and they came in cheaper than my older Denon & D-Syn2 DVD sync setup.
Very happy all round. I'm off to pack it up now.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 12, 2010 at 9:40:50 pm

Allan, thanks for taking the time to post your results. Much appreciated!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]