FORUMS: list search recent posts

camera decision help

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Hopper
camera decision help
on Aug 27, 2009 at 6:44:14 pm

I have the opportunity to provide video service for an entire school districts football games, I will record 8 different games every friday night, then by monday morning provide dvd's for coaches to review. I have the dvd part all figuered out, I need help determining what cameras and format.

all games are friday night, shooting from press box, electricity is available, no audio needs, on camera audio. I can rent camera or buy.

I do have to deliver one dvd to each head coach saturday PM/evening
thank in advance

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
Re: camera decision help
on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:31:35 pm

Budget would be the first question. The second would this be a locked off shot or a camera man following the action?

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Lee Hopper
on Aug 27, 2009 at 11:18:55 pm

all cameras will have an operator

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:31:05 am

Be VERY careful here.

Multiple cameras tend to EXPONENTIALLY increase the complexity of any gig.

Given a 2 hour game - and 3 cameras, you'll generate 6 hours of linear footage time.

The most efficient way to do this would be to switch it live. But that means running lines to a central switching position from all cameras and also means you should run a full com system since it's frustrating to get back to the shop to discover that 50% of the time ALL your camera ops decided to give you a tight shot of the QB.

You could cut ingestion time down by using solid state recording media - but then you're a static discharge away from losing a whole camera angle.

For safety you should probably do this traditionally and shoot iso tapes in the cameras, then bring them back to your place and do a "pesudo live switch" in post on your NLE.

But that means ingesting 3 two hour tapes or 6 hours minimum of edit prep. Then 3-4 hours of cutting the game - then 1-2 hours generating the master - then another 1-2 hours encoding and burning the first disc. So that's a MINIMUM of 13-14 hours per game.

In truth, you WILL NOT get it done in that amount of time. You'll spend ALL of Saturday and ALL of Sunday - 20-30 hours on this. Trust me, that's just how it works.

IN fact, I'd guess that even with 3 modest cameras - and buddies who will work for near nothing - you're looking at equip depreciation, hard costs, and overhead on a bare bones project like this of $400-500 bucks just to get the images on tape. Then you've got to make something for the editing.

SO hopefully you priced this so that you don't end up making $5 an hour for your efforts ($3.50 after paying your camera ops!)

Still, if you love making video it's good experience. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that this kind of project seldom makes actual sustainable business money - not if you look at it through a lens of real business accounting.

Still, if you're doing what you love - that's its own compensation.

Return to posts index

Lee Hopper
on Aug 29, 2009 at 6:57:59 pm

each location will be single camera

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:50:35 pm

hi there

at first although this is off topic
find out what the coaches want to see. and see if you can do this in a single camera setup.
the way you sketch your fine i guess for tactic a medium-wideangle shot smoothly following the game is what they need.
if not think about lenses they can raise budget bigtime. take time specialy the first time to explain to your cameraop's what you need you can't be on 8places at the same time!!
about the camera's make sure that they are al the same or at least all the same system. this makes that if you need a deck you need only one and if it's like P2 or XDcam (i guess not your budget) file types and handling are the same for all venue's. i guess the coaches need the whole game so there is only ruff cutting the in and out and get it on DVD but be aware you have roughly 16hours of video which when on tape have to be ingested in real time and then be encoded. you have about 24hours so all the rest has to be done in 8Hours. not talking about logistic in getting the tape's in your office and getting the tape to the coaches. you have to subtract this from these 8hours

maybe it is wise to record directly on DVD at the stadium. with standart consumer DVDrecorders as backup. you can deliver these to the coaches directly after the game!

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Lee Hopper
on Aug 31, 2009 at 5:02:18 pm

Thanks Maurice,

we have figured out all the "during the gamw" issues.

It all boils down to camera: tape or tapeless

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Aug 31, 2009 at 5:30:58 pm

Tapeless, makes the most sense as you can shorten the time to DVD production. My suggestion would be to find a camera that goes straight to DVD, there are quite a few options.

Off the topic but on the topic. At the end of the day will you make money ?

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Lee Hopper
on Aug 31, 2009 at 5:36:06 pm

I will only do the job IF I make money, the quote dgoes in on Thursday. We will see. because of rental availabilities we will be using sony PD170's

Return to posts index

Ron Gerber
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:06:49 pm

I hope you got the bid. Personally, I go with tape and bring a consumer DVD burner and run a line out of the PD170 to make a "real time" DVD. That will save you a lot of time in the end. Also, it will inevitably occur, 4 weeks into the season, they (a player, a coach, a college looking at a player) will need an additional dub of the game or just select series from the game. And please make sure you get a shot of the scoreboard between every play. The coaches are looking for down and distance info. I've heard horror stories of film sessions that were useless because the coaches had no idea what the game situations were they were watching.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]