FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Keynote - multi-screen output

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul landergan
Apple Keynote - multi-screen output
on Jul 27, 2009 at 11:19:52 am

Hi
I've been trying to find a way of making Keynote span multiple display outputs, (not just operator screen on 1, programme on 2 or something along this line,) but programme split acoross two (or more) GFX card outputs, in order to maximise resolution. I've not been succesful in this endeavour. It seems that the architecture of Keynote prvents spanning multip[le displays - do any forum mebers have any advice?
thanks
Paul

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Apple Keynote - multi-screen output
on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:35:40 pm

You're absolutely right -- Keynote will not allow you to span multiple displays.

However, check out Matrox's GXM line. These devices appear to the computer to be one very wide display, and then split that across multiple outputs.

I have used these on several shows, and they've been flawless. Note that some Keynote effects and transitions will require a fast graphics card at these high resolutions.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Julian Williamson
on Jul 28, 2009 at 8:53:24 pm

Matrox triplehead will allow you to use Keynote across 3 XGA displays. You'll have to enter the new resolution manually within keynote. 3072x768 (three 1024x768 displays)along with other resolutions are available. Making full motion video run on this will require creative compression.

Julian Williamson
http://www.blueslandfilms.com

Julian Williamson
http://www.blueslandfilms.com

Return to posts index

Neil Stratton
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:25:18 pm

Hi- this post nearly answered my query but not quite.Walter can you tell me how you can use this setup in Watchout? If these 3 outputs are fed to Watchout then they need to overlap to allow for the blend area.But I cannot yet find the answer to where you do this.I currently use a Quadvision machine with 3 outputs as one large display, but crucially I specify the overlap of the displays so as to achieve a blend span.With the Matrox cards it seems there is no such facility.How did you do it?
Thanks in advance
Neil

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 2, 2011 at 2:09:36 am

[Neil Stratton] "Walter can you tell me how you can use this setup in Watchout? If these 3 outputs are fed to Watchout then they need to overlap to allow for the blend area."

The Matrox does not have any option to blend the outputs. They are always edge-butted. I'll use a Keynote/Matrox system in concert with a Spyder or Encore, which handles the edge-blending.

I actually generally use WATCHOUT the same way -- to feed a multi-destination switcher. I almost never use WATCHOUT as the last component in the signal chain before display.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Neil Stratton
on Jun 2, 2011 at 10:36:34 am

Hi Walter-thanks for the advice on this one.I have never hard edged two displays before so am a little apprehensive but will see how it goes.Due to a limited budget Watchout will be the last chain in the line before the projectors and so will be edge blending two projectors. I will feed the two outputs from Keynote in via RGB Pro 1 cards, and hard edge them together.Every job has a new challenge!
Thanks again for your expertise!
Neil Stratton

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]