FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any stabe video presentation software for secondary monitor projection ?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
viki kumar
Any stabe video presentation software for secondary monitor projection ?
on Jul 5, 2009 at 6:16:19 am

Hi,

Can someone suggest some simple software which can run on a pc with dual monitors. I want something real simple with no mixing etc etc. All the playback controls like stop, pause, playlist etc appear on the primary monitor while only the video thats playing goes out to the second monitor. When no video plays it always shows only black on the 2nd monitor and you cant see the mouse or anything, but just a black screen.

I need this so i can play video at a live event without anyone seeing a desktop or the playlists, mouse etc. Ive seen DJ softwares but they are too complex and i dont need live mixing etc etc.

Just need simple playback like windows mediaplayer and should be able to accept most types of files like Mpeg2 and Avi etc.

Thanks a lot in advance...:)

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: Any stabe video presentation software for secondary monitor projection ?
on Jul 5, 2009 at 7:57:05 am

Two I know of, one Window, one Mac.

Windows
Avstumpfl's Wings platinum 3 Pro version (only the Pro and Mutidisplay versions have secondry monitor output in Presentation mode). Demo available.

Mac
PlaybackPro. I don't have a Mac so have not used this software myself.

In both cases, suggest you create a Black bitmap and use it as your desktop so that when the OS extends to the secondary monitor, it will be black.

Return to posts index

viki kumar
on Jul 8, 2009 at 3:40:40 pm

Hi,

Any other suggestions please ? I visited the site which you gave Avstumpfl's Wings platinum 3 Pro version and found that theor programs are quite complex and expensive. I just need a play a video at a time software without the live mixing etc etc. Id end up paying for all the bells and whistles i wouldnt need at all. In fact there is a free program out there that does what i want, but unfortunately it will only play wmv files. I need to play mpeg2 or something like that.

If anyone else also has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Jul 8, 2009 at 5:01:49 pm

if you do not want to use a proven professional product, then use the freeware vlc from vlc.org. It does not auto default to the sec monitor. You have to drag it there.

Return to posts index

Julian Williamson
on Jul 9, 2009 at 3:18:55 am

Umm... I've used Apple's Keynote with good results for simple playback on "mission-critical" presentations. Plays back HD video without choking either in H.264 or Apple Intermediate Codec. Just set the secondary monitor to the native resolution of your display, drag it into Keynote, and away you go.

Good luck,
Julian Williamson

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 9, 2009 at 12:37:37 pm

Keynote does a great job playing video in presentations, but there are some important limitations that may be show stoppers for some applications. In this case, the poster wouldn't get transport controls on the main monitor.

A couple other Keynote video gotchas: there is no visible timecode to the operator, so you can't count out of the video. The first frame of video sometimes holds while the computer loads the video file, so you may want to start in black. Slide transitions only work before a video starts and after it ends (essentially a single-channel switcher). You do have access to a slide sorter in presentation mode, but it's not a proper playlist; you'll see the first frame of the video, but the clip name or any other information about it.

As Thomas mentioned, Playback Pro is an outstanding software DDR. It's purpose-built for this sort of work.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

viki kumar
on Jul 9, 2009 at 2:31:20 pm

I am running on win xp pro. So i doubt apple's software would work for me would it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 9, 2009 at 3:42:27 pm

Have you considered recompressing your MPEG2 and AVI files as WMV so you can use the software that you've already found?

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

viki kumar
on Jul 9, 2009 at 5:22:41 pm

Hi Walter,

I have no problems rendering out to actual wmv9hd from the project footage on my NLE. But my only gripe is that wmv is considerably softer in output compared to edge sharpness of mpeg2. Its the basic nature of the wmv9 hd encoding uiversally. Wmvs will look softer. Which is good when u need that but not for a large screen projection like mine.

This seems to be my only problem :(

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 9, 2009 at 6:51:42 pm

What about renting a DDR for the event? Grass Valley's Turbo uses 25 Mb/s MPEG2 natively for HD material, and can import a wide variety of digital video formats.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

James Henley
on Jul 13, 2009 at 10:41:14 am

Depending on what type(s) of files you want to play, you might be able to do it all directly from the timeline of your NLE. I've done this before using Premiere - output through the firewire then used a canopus advc-110 to convert the signal to analogue and sent this to the video input on the projector. Not the most flexible solution in the world but for what I wanted it worked brilliantly (and was free!)

James

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
on Jul 18, 2009 at 4:58:20 pm

Have you ever checked out a program like Media Shout? http://www.mediashout.com/ It runs on Windows and can simply do dual-monitor output of video content, but it can also do many other things.

//nick

Return to posts index

viki kumar
on Jul 18, 2009 at 6:12:55 pm

Im apprehensive about buying a software for $400 and gives not more than 4 lines of description with a buy button. Where did they put the details for that program ?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
on Jul 21, 2009 at 1:47:09 am

The website seems to explain the features and offers a video explaining the programs functionality. You can also download a demo of it and find out for yourself: http://www.mediashout.com/products/mediashout/try-it

//nick

Return to posts index

Nino Marino
on Jul 21, 2009 at 5:48:30 pm

ATI video cards have a feature built in to their drivers called "Theater Mode" which I think does exactly what you want - it will automatically play any video to a secondary monitor in full screen. This feature should let you use any media player you want. Fortunately you're still running XP as, in Vista, the feature only works with video players that use the overlay renderer due to DRM restrictions. Nvidia used to have a similar feature but it looks like they've removed it from newer drivers, probably due to the limitations in Vista.

Hope this helps!

--Nino

Return to posts index

Alex James
on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:54:36 am

Hi, you can try CUMeeting video conferencing software which can run on a pc with dual monitors

Return to posts index

steeve borman
on Jun 19, 2014 at 5:31:05 pm
Last Edited By steeve borman on Jun 19, 2014 at 6:38:37 pm

Also you can try VideoStage (MAC) -->> http://www.azasoft.fr/videostage/int/

Or Screen Monkey (PC) -->> http://www.screenmonkey.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]