FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD recording dual format dilemna

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Smith
DVD recording dual format dilemna
on Jun 2, 2009 at 7:47:40 pm

A quick bit of background - I'm a well versed live audio guy, with just enough live video production experience to get by.
Because of this, I'm in charge of dealing with a DVD recording system at our church. We are putting in a fixed camera, Panasonic HVX150, so that we can have 1080p display to the Sacristy, Parish Hall, and other rooms (a full distirbution system).
My original thought was to use the Datavideo MP-6000, but unfortunately this only records widescreen SD - I would need to downconvert the video, and who really wants that.. Granted that 90% of the public, still owns a standard DVD player, but we want to look to the future as well.
What I'm looking for is recommendations to put together a PC based system, specifically the video input card and software. The input signal would be 1080p component video. After it's captured, I'd like a way to burn it either as Blu-ray, or as standard DVD, so that there is a choice. Editing/authoring is not really a concern - this is primarily destined for weddings or events where they can charge a few $$ for a simple video for people who might not want to hire a videographer, or as a second simple version. It does need to be as simple as possible - there are no tech staff, so I'm hoping to run the whole process in 10 clicks or less.
Thanks for your help,
Scott

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: DVD recording dual format dilemna
on Jun 5, 2009 at 1:40:35 pm

Hi Scott,

Sadly, while standalone Blu-ray recorders are available outside the US, there are none for sale yet in the US. There are rumors that we will see Blu-ray recorders stateside this year, but no actual product announcements that I am aware of.

To record 1080p on a PC, you will need a fast computer, a capture card from AJA or Blackmagic Design, and a very fast disk array. You'll need editing software like Premiere Pro. You'll need authoring software like Encore. It will be somewhat complicated, not really a 10-click process. If anything goes wrong with the computer while it's capturing, you won't have a HD backup. Encoding the Blu-ray disc will take some time.

If simplicity is the goal, and you don't have a big need for HD today, I might consider going ahead with the DVD recorder today and waiting a couple months to see if there are any local developments on standalone Blu-ray recorders.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: DVD recording dual format dilemna
on Jun 8, 2009 at 7:26:08 pm

Scott,

Another option for you might be the new AJA Ki Pro -- a standalone digital recorder that creates ProRes Quicktime files. Recording the event would be pretty much push-button simple, and then you could author the discs later in either format as a separate step on a Mac or PC with the ProRes codec installed.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]