FORUMS: list search recent posts

multi-display installation 12 screens

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory Ginsburg
multi-display installation 12 screens
on May 18, 2009 at 8:21:45 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Dave Jones package, but just wanted to be reassured that I'm going the best route possible.

The project is 12 40" lcd's in a narrow room - 6 on each side and the displays will be approximately 2-5 ft apart. Driving footage will be shot by cameras mounted on the side of a car. The effect is to make it seem like you are moving by having the video pass through each screen. Cost is a factor, so I thought Dave Jones was a quality, bang for your buck solution. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Cory

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: multi-display installation 12 screens
on May 18, 2009 at 11:18:19 pm

The Dave Jones Design synchronizers are rock-solid and a great way to keep the cost of an installation reasonable. A couple notes on these worth repeating:

These units are standard-def only right now.

If you need frame accuracy, you need to use the Pioneer DVD-V8000 with blackburst. The DVD-V5000s are cheaper, but only accurate to within 2 frames. If you plan to have any cuts in your final edited piece, you will want the frame accuracy. If you are only using slow dissolves, perhaps you can get away without it.

DVD players have moving parts, and these will eventually fail. You may want to budget for and purchase a couple spares upfront, so there is no significant downtime in the installation when one of the DVD players fails. This will also increase the longevity of the system as a whole, because you would be able to avoid any problems from mixing different Pioneer models in the same installation.

Some questions similar to this have been asked recently that mention a few other solutions, including solid-state playback systems from Technovision, as well as a range of more expensive networked computer-based playback systems.

Are you shooting this with 12 cameras simultaneously? Your rig for the car must be impressive!

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Cory Ginsburg
on May 19, 2009 at 3:31:02 pm

Haha...no, only 2 cameras - 1 on each side of the car. I'll just have to cut a second or 2 off each starting point in edit, test it, and see what feels right. There will be 5 min of driving, then 5 min of other stuff w/cuts. I did talk to the guy at Dave Jones - he thought the black burst wasn't necessary. But now I'm worried about what you said because the budget doesn't really allow for the DVD-V8000's. Thanks for your comments.
Cory

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 19, 2009 at 11:00:43 pm

Hi Cory,

No need to worry about the frame-accurate sync -- you can adjust your content to get around a lack of perfect frame accuracy. If every screen in the room is supposed to cut precisely together, you would notice if a couple screens had drifted a couple frames. If, on the other hand, the cuts are staggered through the room, a couple players could drift without it being noticeable.

On the driving footage, you might want to create a test to make sure the delay will give you the look you need, and make sure that slipping a couple frames won't harm the illusion.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Jun 8, 2009 at 1:59:30 pm

Cory, I also thought of an installation like this.
If you want to use time displacement to have 6 streams out of one footage, I suppose you understand that there must be no moving people or animals in your footage.
Otherwise it will look strange.

I finally decided to use one fullHD camera then divide on 2 screens.

In any case it will be very interesting for me to know the results of your tests.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]