FORUMS: list search recent posts

remotely control cameras

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitriy Dribinskiy
remotely control cameras
on May 15, 2009 at 10:47:20 pm

Just a hypothetical question…. Do people use a remotely control cameras at the events, such as Weddings, i.e. for the Ceremony, behind the Altar… If yes, what do I need (screen, remote control, etc.)

Return to posts index

Mike Broich
Re: remotely control cameras
on May 18, 2009 at 3:54:21 pm

I have used three Canon VC-C4's for an annual religious conference (combination business meetings / worship ceremonies) for about 10 years. 2 are stacked one above the other on a metal bracket I made, the other sits on the opposite side of the stage. They live on top of metal poles with power and control routed down through them. The control lines are about 200 feet long and run to a Telemetrics controller in the control room. The Telemetrics controls up to 4 cameras, (one at a time) and has 4 "presets" for each camera. The presets save pan, tilt, and zoom information for quick recall.

What I've learned:

*) Have a tally system, or at least a Program monitor for the person controlling the cameras, so that they are less likely to move a camera that is "live"

*) Impress upon the camera operator the importance of double-checking which camera he thinks he is about to move....if you press a preset button, the camera moves at it's highest speed, so you don't want it to be "live"!

*)The quality of the VC-C4's is just barely acceptable...I would rent Sony BRC 300's (or, drool, 700's) if I could.

*) You can send 9600 baud control signals down 200' feet of wire, even though no one would recommend it.

*) You can pan a camera "live" if you have to, but the Telemetrics controller is a little "Jerky" at the slowest speed (Just barely moving the joystick)

Hope this helps.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]