FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live TV Production Questions

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dane Henry
Live TV Production Questions
on Apr 14, 2009 at 3:15:38 am

Hey there all,

First off I am a shooter & editor, Live production has lots of unknowns for me. I'm in the research stage of figuring out if a production is doable. We want shoot a Live 30 minute morning program that plays on a Cable station for our local TV market.

Our proposed location is in a very large lobby of a Resort. We are looking to be able to breakdown the production after each show (storage space is provided by the Resort). So simplicity of the entire system is a big issue. It would be a 2 camera set (hpx-500's or 300's), with a possible 3rd on location camera (microwave and camera are pre-existing). After some research it seems that a "Portable Multicam Production System" from Mobile Studios fits what I'm looking for.

My final output needs to be NTSC (at the present time) but I do not want to drop the money on a dedicated SD system . I would rather have an HD system that can down-convert to SD. The System I'm looking at is the MS-P400. URL: http://www.mobilestudios.com/products.asp?cat=5

Questions:
1. Is this switcher capable of out-putting an SD NTSC signal?
If not would an AJA FS1 (or similar) be appropriate in this situation to down-convert the output?

2. The Panasonic sight says the switcher supports image files with alpha channel (PNG, Tiff). Does this mean I would be able to create my Titles and other character and graphic work in Photoshop/Illustrator? I would like to initially save on the cost of Character Generator (Is this a mistake?).

3. Each show segment will have at least one pre-made package-edit played. Which means we would ideally like to be playing these videos from a computer. The Switcher can have a DVI input but it seems to me that this would just be showing the current screen of the computer? Would a Kona (or similar) output card be the connection from CPU to switcher (since using the KonaTV application will send the playing video through its outputs)?

4. We would zap the signal out through a microwave. Anybody know what type of connection is typically used for the NTSC signal to get into the microwave?

5. Excluding lights, mics, and direct to disc recording what other critical things am I leaving out?

I know this is a bunch of info I'm asking for...so thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-Dane

Return to posts index

Tim Pendergrass
Re: Live TV Production Questions
on Apr 16, 2009 at 2:09:39 am

Questions:
1. Is this switcher capable of out-putting an SD NTSC signal? YES IF THEY HAVE THE DOWNCONVERT BOARD IN IT WHICH IS NEW

If not would an AJA FS1 (or similar) be appropriate in this situation to down-convert the output?

2. The Panasonic sight says the switcher supports image files with alpha channel (PNG, Tiff). Does this mean I would be able to create my Titles and other character and graphic work in Photoshop/Illustrator? I would like to initially save on the cost of Character Generator (Is this a mistake?). YOU ARE CORRECT HERE, STILLS CAN BE CALLED UP FROM AN SD CARD

3. Each show segment will have at least one pre-made package-edit played. Which means we would ideally like to be playing these videos from a computer. The Switcher can have a DVI input but it seems to me that this would just be showing the current screen of the computer? Would a Kona (or similar) output card be the connection from CPU to switcher (since using the KonaTV application will send the playing video through its outputs)? WE USE PRO PRESENTER FOR THE MAC $399 TO PLAY BACK FULL HD QUICKTIMES VIA DVI THAT WOULD PLAY RIGHT INTO THAT SWITCHER

4. We would zap the signal out through a microwave. Anybody know what type of connection is typically used for the NTSC signal to get into the microwave? NA

5. Excluding lights, mics, and direct to disc recording what other critical things am I leaving out?

tim@videoloungeproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]