FORUMS: list search recent posts

green tint in low lit areas

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan hodges
green tint in low lit areas
on Mar 16, 2009 at 3:18:44 pm

Im not even sure which forum to post this in but ill start here:

Situation: In our sanctuary at church we video our services for television broadcast as well as youtube and a live internet feed. We use four sony z1u's going out svideo to our broadcast room to four signvideo procamps and then to our panasonic mx70 switcher. we do the usual white balance and i use the black and white clip meters on the procamp to get good blacks and whites and the color of the stage area, which is well lit with theatrical lighting, has great color. Problem is when ever we take a crowd shot, which is lit solely by incandescent house lighting, the shot is obviously a little darker, which is easily fixable via the iris control on camera, but the darker areas have a green tint that i cant seem to get rid of. Even if i use extreme tint adjustment on the procamp it stays green, it just changes to a different shade. You can see examples of it on our youtube site (look at the most recent videos from yesterday) at youtube.com/vbfatv or on vimeo.com/vbfatv. is there a filter i can use or something? any ideas? different forum? thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Horvath
Re: green tint in low lit areas
on Mar 17, 2009 at 7:29:37 am

This sounds like worn-out HQI-Lamps, you can do nothing, but changing lamps or switch off and put another light source to the stage. Filtering doesn´t make sense, you only make the well lit area worse, and the old HQI-lamps change the color on every switch on/off.

alex

multimedia and special events

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Mar 24, 2009 at 12:51:15 am

It sounds like you are dealing with different color temperatures. Stage lighting (more like natural light) is usually 3000-3200 degrees Kelvin. When you white balance using one source of light (such as the stage light) and you switch to a shot primarily washed with light of a different color temperature, you will have to white balance using that source of light to correct the problem.

I'm sure others have more advice and I definitely have a bit to learn about this area, so I'll leave off here for those with more expertise.

Good luck!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

ryan hodges
on Mar 24, 2009 at 1:37:19 pm

I solved the issue by taking one of the amber bastard colored gels (same ones used for the stage lighting) and using a little gaffers tape to hold it in front of the lens. sounds ridiculous but the stage looks great and the crowd shot is worlds better. there is a slight difference in the two shots, but the average viewer wouldnt notice since you cant see both at the same time. i tweaked each camera using the sign video procamps (love those things) and it looks pretty dang good.

Ryan Hodges

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]