DVD player with sync

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcow
Maxim Moisseev
DVD player with sync
on Mar 10, 2009 at 10:15:49 am

Hi!
Please give me a clue about some DVD player with good sync(genlock?) function.
Like Pioneer DVD-V8000, but not so expensive.

I need it for the poly-screen installation to play 18/24 hours in loop.

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
Re: DVD player with sync
on Mar 10, 2009 at 10:54:57 am

IT must not nesessary be DVD players! This will be a museum installation. Any possible player that can output video - maybe hard disc player - will do.

I know Pioneer pro DVDs are used for such purposes. Maybe there's already something new on the market?

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Mar 10, 2009 at 2:17:45 pm

For 24/7 playback, I'd recommend Compact Flash players - no spinning parts, plays forever! Plenty of choices out there - just google for Compact Flash video players, most not expensive. Not high def though, only Std def video. For high def the costs go up - from Electrosonics, AvStumpfl, and ???.

But in your first post, you asked for genlock? genlock to what?...timecode? to drive/sync with other devices? eg. lighting controllers?? or is that irrelevant now?

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Mar 10, 2009 at 2:28:36 pm

Hi Thomas!
My task is to run 5 videostreams in perfect sync between each other(this will be panoramic video).

I look for a simle way to do it. Don't propose Catalyst - it's too complicated for museum people to operate.
This must be something very easy to turn on and off. That's why I'm looking at synced players.

Return to posts index

cow
Thomas Leong
on Mar 10, 2009 at 3:58:21 pm

hi Maxim,

5 synced players...ok, various ways.

Dvd players or solid state players under a controller.
There were some solutions for these at Show-Control Group some time ago.

Here's one -
Show-Control message 9339. Some of the guys who replied are manufacturers themselves and do/supply museums all the time. I'm confident Doug, Mark and Dan (in those replies) should be able to give you a solution at a reasonable price.

If you have no other choice but the Pioneer DVD players, then this controller software should do it - http://www.videobotics.com/frpolydvd.html

Other solutions.
Dataton's Watchout - playback does not require the Master present.
AvStumpfl's Wings Platinum - for playback, Master can be one of the Displays. Can also configure 2 videos out of a dual-head graphics card, thereby saving one licence and one PC for every 2-outputs, i.e. for a 5-screen setup, you would need only 3 licences and 3 PCs where PC1 is Master Timeline and Display1, PC2 is Display2 and Display3, PC3 is Display4 and Display5.

AvStumpfl also has a playback hardware solution where, after the show/sync is finalised, it can be transferred to Compact flash, and playback can then be via their SC Master unit controlling solid-state players such as their SCVideo Player 9 (single or dual player), and their new solid state compact flash HD Player. Going this way, and without investing in the production side, you could hire a production house that has the Wings Multi-Display version to sync up your 5-screen panoramics and transfer your show to compact flash for you for playback on Stumpfl's hardware.

For Mac, there is Renewedvision. Works similar to Watchout and Wings in that a Master controls Slave Displays via ordinary Ethernet, but in this case, you can use Mac minis as the Slaves.

For Mac, there is also freeware such as multiscreener from http://www.zachpoff.com but since you are doing panoramics, I have my doubts if freeware and shareware stuff are frame-accurate over time and when repeated.

hope that helps,
Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Vivienne Dick
on Jul 30, 2009 at 4:45:46 pm

I have the same problem - wondering if you found a solution. I have 3 dvd's for an installation which need to be in sync and the material will be looped.

I know about the Pioneer V8000 and the company Mite based in Liverpool who make a synchroniser. The whole set up is very costly and has been around a while now.
Is there anything newer and less expensive out there?

Vivienne Dick

Return to posts index

cow
Walter Soyka
on Mar 11, 2009 at 12:59:54 am

Dave Jones Design and Technovision both make DVD synchronizers that will work with the DVD-V5000; they are accurate to within 2 frames, which could be ok if there's no fast motion, the monitors are spread out, and you always dissolve instead of cut. If you need perfect frame accuracy, you need the 8000 with genlock.

Thomas's advice about the compact-flash based players is great. I think Technovision makes them too, although I don't have any personal experience with them.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Mar 17, 2009 at 7:13:58 pm

Thanks Walter,

I contacted Technovision - they seem to make exactly what I need. CF HD players, sychronisable up to 40! As for the sync accuracy, I will order a couple and test'em.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 17, 2009 at 9:28:14 pm

Hi Maxim,

Glad I could help. I'd love to hear how well these work out.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

Rick Sebeck
Re: DVD player with sync - blue ray?
on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:01:08 pm

What if I need to sync two HD signals? Are there controllers for blue ray discs? I have seen the RaveHD - but that seems to be a bit overkill for just two streams.

-Rick

Editor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: DVD player with sync - blue ray?
on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:46:07 pm

Hi Rick,

At least one of the manufacturers has units in development, but there are no Blu-Ray synchronizers available that I am aware of.

I think your best shots here are synchronized hi-def compact flash players, a computer-based solution like Watchout, Wings, or Pro Video Player, or sync-rolled DDRs like the Turbo.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

paul shen
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:17:09 am

Maybe The MS9500GL of Electrosonic Inc. can do,
And could somebody send the price of DVD-V8000 & MS9500GL to me?
Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

FranciscoDauhajre
on Jun 2, 2009 at 8:56:45 pm

Walter,

I just got in a Pioneer DVD-8000, but it has been impossible to Sync it with my BetaCam SP decks and Sony Cameras with a Studio Switcher. Any helo would be great as I just spent 1,100 dollars on a DVD player just for its GENLOCK feature. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 3, 2009 at 12:45:18 pm

Hi Francisco,

I'm much more a content designer than an engineer, but I hope I will be able to help anyway. My first two questions:

- Are you using a black burst generator?
- Have you set External Sync on the V8000 to match your video format? The default is OFF, and you can choose either NTSC or PAL. This is in the ADV. SETUP menu.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]