FORUMS: list search recent posts

Concert to DVD audio

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe McKinney
Concert to DVD audio
on Jan 5, 2009 at 8:42:45 pm

Hey guys, a friend contacted me and asked if the company that I work for could film a live concert to be pushed to DVD. He spoke with the engineer who will mix-down the audio, and the engineer said it would take roughly 5 days to mix the album and 5 days to mix the DVD. I was under the impression that the mixes would be roughly the same, and that the mix for the CD would suffice for the DVD?

So what exactly is the difference between a music mix for CD and a music mix for DVD? And what is the process between the editor and engineer?

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
Re: Concert to DVD audio
on Jan 6, 2009 at 10:28:03 pm

Is he mixing the dvd for 5.1 surround?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe McKinney
on Jan 6, 2009 at 11:35:27 pm

I'm not sure on the 5.1. Would that necessitate a second DVD mix?

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 7, 2009 at 12:36:41 am

Yes it would. Audio through a home theatre (DVD) is usually always mixed differently. If it is 5.1, then it is a whole other session to mix. It could be done at the same time if the engineer has a 5.1 monitoring setup.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 7, 2009 at 12:38:09 am

Yes it would. Audio through a home theatre (DVD) is usually always mixed differently. If it is 5.1, then it is a whole other session to mix. It could be done at the same time if the engineer has a 5.1 monitoring setup.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Joe McKinney
on Jan 7, 2009 at 2:15:55 am

Jeff, thanks for your help! As a side question, what is the relationship between the editor and the engineer? What formats/delivery options will be used?

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 7, 2009 at 2:26:44 am

Joe, BTW, I live in McKinney, TX. Small world.An editor is typically someone who edits video. They shape the story that is ultimately seen by deciding when to cut angles, add graphics, motion etc. Mostly they defer the captured audio to a sound engineer. This individual takes the final edited audio and then makes it sound nice. If you are simply preparing DVD audio, they add their own effects such as reverb, eq, compression etc. If there is video and he does a 5.1 surround mix, he generally wants to see the movie file so e can make audio adjustments that match the video. For example, at the end of the song, when the audience applauds, he might pan the crowd mics so you can imagine the crowd behind and around the listener.

DVD audio can come in several formats.

DVD Data. this could be full bandwidth aiff files
Dolby digital AC3 is common.
DTS audio some folks think is a better sound
SACD is full bandwidth audio

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]