FORUMS: list search recent posts

osx multi-display control

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxim Moisseev
osx multi-display control
on Dec 6, 2008 at 12:33:32 pm

Hi!
Do you know any product similar to Wings Platinum from AVStumpfl, for OSX?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
Re: osx multi-display control
on Dec 6, 2008 at 5:45:39 pm

Check out ProVideo Player over at http://www.renewedvision.com. It's a great product, really affordable that does the basic aspects of what you're wings/watchout would do.

//nick

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Dec 6, 2008 at 6:21:00 pm

I use PVP HD, it's reaaly very good and affordable but far from Wings. I also gave a try to HighEnd Systems Catalyst, but it seemed to me not very stable and friendly.

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Dec 6, 2008 at 6:37:16 pm

I need to protest... Only as a point of honor for some friends: Catalyst has been a leading media server for going on 8 or so years now. In terms of stability I haven't even heard of a crash since v2, and that's over 3 years ago. There's a reason Catalyst has been used on many of the biggest gigs worldwide: It's utterly reliable.

Speaking however, to 'friendly': Catalyst was primarily created to be controlled by a DMX lighting controller. It also works with MIDI controllers, and in it's latest version I believe it has a timeline control option on board. So it can be a little daunting if you don't have experience in the world of lighting controllers.

My suggestion (apart from those already made, and predicated on your need for a tight budget) is to use VJ software like Livid Union, Resolume, or Arkaos in conjunction with a dual or triple head to go adapter. Any of those apps is going to be cheaper than anything mentioned here, and they are all surprisingly powerful. Powerful enough that all of those folks making media serving solutions that cost 100 times as much are watching very nervously... Come to think of it I may need to write an article for the magazine about this...

Best,
Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Dec 6, 2008 at 7:15:24 pm

Thanks, Bob.
I did't mention anything about my budget.
I also use Arkaos, it's good for VJing, but I'm sure it's not suitable for 5-screen performance.

So I'll take a closer look on Catalyst. Do you know a good manual on this soft? I haven't found any on their site.

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Dec 6, 2008 at 10:48:53 pm

Well hang on: Catalyst is also not ideal for a 5 screen gig. IF I were going to list proper platforms created for multiscreen control/playback they would be:

Barco Encore
Vista SPyder
Hippotizer
Pandoras Box
Watchout
Wings

Then, maybe Catalyst.

One of your criteria seems to be making it work on Mac, yes ? Why are you looking for solutions besides Watchout if budget is not a problem ? It's powerful, easy to use, and totally appropriate. If you are trying to run 5 screens off ONE mac, I'd have to say that's not ideal at all... It can be done with a couple of Matrox Triple Head adapters, and I have used Arkaos and Livid to do this in events, but it was difficult and not something I'd want to do if precision and intra screen sync is key. Perhaps you should explain a bit more about what you are trying to do.

MODE Studios
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Dec 7, 2008 at 7:22:48 am

Thanx for the list, Bob.

I tried Watchout a couple of times, the most embarasing thing for me is that's a PC soft. Windows is't very stable.

I'm looking for a flexible application for OSX, that could work together with light console through dmx and with a timeline feature.

We're composing a light program within Wysiwyg off-stage. I prefer to do a little bit the same manner with video, and to have a possibility to sync 'em on stage.

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Dec 7, 2008 at 7:37:11 am

Well, odd as it may sound... Mac may not be the way here. Don't get me wrong... I own more than a dozen Mac machines that I use to create content. But in terms of playback, odd as it sounds, the most reliable and popular systems are windows based.

I'm not a big fan of the windows OS, particularly Vista. But very reliable and powerful DMX controllable media servers like Hippotizer or Pandoras Box are using Windows based platforms very effectively. Much of this has to do with the trend in the media server industry to use gaming graphics technologies and Direct-X in particular to leverage superior performance. All of the millions of dollars spent in PC gaming research and development enable these windows boxes to render effects and multiple layers in real time. My personal favorite are the Hippotizers. I've used them this year on Journey, Nickelback, Nine Inch Nails, as well as multiple big corporate and theatrical events, and they have yet to let me down. Multiple outputs, convenient remote interface control over standard gigabit ethernet, a robust timeline, DMX control (of course), as well as the ability to blend unlimited outputs into big panoramic images.

If you are absolutely not going to move from Mac, then your options for DMX controllable media servers that will be able to handle multiple outputs are limited to Catalyst, and PRG's M-Box.

On the topic of previsualizing, I'm not sure what capability WYSWYG now has (I last used it a couple of years ago), but I can tell you that I use ESP Vision all the time to visualize lighting programming, and ESP has the capability to take video inputs and playback content 'on screen' right within your lighting previs. It even has correcty modeled photo-metrics and optical simulations for most of the leading brands of projectors... Very useful.

In any case good luck.

MODE Studios
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Dec 7, 2008 at 8:15:03 am

I VERY APPRESIATE YOUR HELP!
What hardware do you recommend to use with Hippotizers?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
on Dec 10, 2008 at 1:50:55 am

if you want a crazy idea, mac alternative, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Apple developer software called Quartz Composer. In short, somebody built a multiscreen-networked synced video engine that is open-source. If you're interested you can modify it to receive MIDI and now with some further toying, can get it to receive Artnet and then DMX via a DMX to arnet box. If you're at all interested you can find details here: http://anselan.blogspot.com/2008/09/ygbox-goes-open-source.html

//nick

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Dec 17, 2008 at 7:17:44 pm

just want to sahre my opinion about Watchout.

We are a Mac based video company and got Watchout while it was still Mac, and have stuck with it even though it is now PC only. Watchout is VERY stable, even on PC. We have made several fixed installations with Watchout that run EVERY DAY, and we use it for mission critical events.

Great new thing about version 4 is DMX in and out plus the ability to send TC/IP commands. We are currently using Barco presentationpros for live video overlay, and controlling them totally from within Watchout...

- No Parking Production -

Finalcut Studio2, Dual G5, Kona 2, ioHD, X-Raid

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Dec 8, 2008 at 9:49:00 am

Here are some possibilities for the Mac -

Isadora

Multiscreener

Max/MSP/Jitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>