FORUMS: list search recent posts

PVC film for slides

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxim Moisseev
PVC film for slides
on Dec 6, 2008 at 12:13:58 pm

Do you know some kind of transparent PVC film, suitable for inkjet printing, heat-resistant at least 200F, not adhesive?

I need it to make slides for projectors.

Before, I used some sort of PVC film made in China, that came with projectors, but now they discontinued the supply, and the film rolls had no labelling. It's very similar to Oracal film, but heat-resistant

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: PVC film for slides
on Dec 15, 2008 at 7:04:47 am

I assume we're talking about an overhead projector? Do a search for "acetate rolls" or similar. That should get you on your way. There might be a certain type for actual printing, but I know I've used them at my university for such things.

Actually, here you go...http://www.misterinkjet.com/inkjet_transparency.htm

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Dec 15, 2008 at 8:10:17 am

No, it's not for an overhead, but for a PIGI-type 4 kW system.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Dec 15, 2008 at 4:46:15 pm

Hi,

I enquired with a good ole friend in London who in turn enquired with a friend of his 'who holds the biggest stock of large format slide projectors in the UK viz. 7kW Hardware projectors, not PIGI or Pani.'

Apparently, he "uses normal HP transparency film (bubble-jet printer type). It's smooth on one side and rough on the other, usually putting 2 duplicate sheets sandwiched together in the slide mount (with peg-registration mounts) to get enough density in the colour print otherwise it looks very washed out. As with all projection jobs of this type, you need multiple backup copies of the slides to compensate for colour fading."

"Incidentally, if the slide burns it is usually because the lamp is incorrectly aligned. It must be adjusted for even slide illumination, not a hot-spot in the middle."

"The light output from the 7kW Hardware projectors is certainly more than a Pani 4kW so one would expect the HP film would work fine. Loads of projection jobs using the HP film has been done, so one could say it's a proven method. Still not as good as proper permanent photographic film like Cibachrome, but it is 'instant'."

Hope that helps.
Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Dec 15, 2008 at 5:52:29 pm

Thanx for this info, Thomas.
We used to print on a Roland, with maximum paint coverage and 2-pass.
It gives best results even compared to standard photo-processing on Kodak Duratrans. Colors are more dense and vivid. And the film itself is more clear.
As for ink-jet transparencies, I only guess how you can use it for serious.
For us it's not suitable just 'cause the slides are mounted in rolls, not in frames.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Dec 16, 2008 at 2:47:46 am

Hi Maxim,

Guess I overlooked that the PIGI uses rolls, not frames.

In any case, here is another answer from Shanghai who used to be based in Hong Kong -

"I really dont know PVC film for inkjet printing certified to stand 200F...
...The PIGI guys in HK use Kodak Duraclear Print Film. The same material used for big lightboxes. But that is not an inkjet process."

Not much help, I'm afraid.

best of luck,
Thomas

Return to posts index

Maxim Moisseev
on Dec 16, 2008 at 7:19:37 am

Maybe it was too much to say 200F, I don't know exactly.
There's a film cooler, but it's reaaly hot inside sometimes. So I trusted our chinese suppliers - they said they use high temperature proof film.
Kodak Duraclear was ok, never burnt.

Return to posts index

Alex Horvath
on Dec 15, 2008 at 12:08:39 pm

A while ago when I used them: http://www.pani.com but I guess they can help you.

multimedia and special events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]