FORUMS: list search recent posts

Displaying Motion Graphics on TV Monitors?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Resendez
Displaying Motion Graphics on TV Monitors?
on Nov 20, 2008 at 11:06:47 pm

hello all,
im not sure where to turn for such a question, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. i have recently created some looping videos in AE for a client of mine and wanted to display these on the LCD monitor inside their shop. the loops are basically spinning logos with basic background effects that spice up the place when the tv monitor is idle. i then came across something like this at a local bar, http://www.barflynetworks.com/demo.html, and thought that this would be cool too. without having to purchase service from anybody, is there any kind of software to be purchased that can have similar results? i dont need any fancy trivia or advertisements run, just something to split the monitor and display two feeds. any suggestions/ideas? sorry if this is not the right forum for this, but i have nowhere else to look anymore. thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Displaying Motion Graphics on TV Monitors?
on Nov 22, 2008 at 10:42:11 pm

Sounds like what you need is a Video Detector Switch.

It passes one video signal, but when that signal disappears, it switches to a second signal.

An example:
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=VDS&off=0&sort=prod&skuonly...

You still need SOMETHING to generate the replacement signal, but that could be an old computer or a DVD running in loop mode or anything else that generates the video you want to display when the primary signal drops out.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 23, 2008 at 6:30:15 pm

Hi Jacob,

What do you intend the second feed to display? In the barflynetworks example you gave, you saw a digital signage system taking a video and adding in dynamic content, pulled from a server on the Internet or the signage network.

Are you looking to put two pieces of your own pre-rendered media onscreen at the same time, or one piece of pre-rendered media and dynamic content?

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Jacob Resendez
on Nov 24, 2008 at 2:32:26 pm

hey guys,
thanks for the feedback. i intend to display a cable tv feed as the main focus with my own pre rendered media as the secondary feed. if the cable feed isnt possible, something like a dvd player would be suitable as well.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Nov 24, 2008 at 5:22:06 pm

Per Bill Davis' earlier post, Kramer Electronics has the VP-211DS Standby Switcher. It is for computer video rather than traditional 'video signals'. Check that your client's LCD monitor has an RGB input for VGA/XGA.

The only thing I'm not sure of is what they mean exactly by '...upon loss of primary input' because from my viewpoint, as long as a signal is detected (even a signal with a blank/black image), it is a signal and the auto switching will probably not occur. I think there has to be a real loss of signal (as in 'switched/powered off' or 'unit goes into rewind mode'...but then again as a digital unit, there is no rewind is there?) for the unit to activate the secondary input. A possible solution is to put a timer on one of the units to switch it on/off at pre-determined intervals...and autoplay when on. Might be too complicated on second thoughts.

Alternative is to look at a cheap digital signage solution such as that from Digital Recall. The low res version is free, but it seems quite cheap to upgrade to higher res and other add-ons. You can then schedule when your respective computer videos will play, and loop them as necessary.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 25, 2008 at 9:54:37 pm

Hi Jacob,

You might look into a security switcher if you just want to bounce back and forth among the two analog video feeds.

Another option is a device from Leightronix's NET series. They feature programmable video/audio switching and DVD control. I am consulting on an installation where we're upgrading from a Leightronix MINI-T-NET and stack of DVD players to a media server. The MINI-T-NET has been a workhorse for them, and they were very happy with its reliability and performance.

One of the advantages of the higher-end models is the ability to play a specific title and chapter off a DVD disc (from a supported player) which would allow you to play day-part specific content on schedule -- maybe different versions of the logo animation for morning, afternoon, and evening.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]