FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projectors

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
Projectors
on Sep 19, 2008 at 5:29:06 pm

Production is my forte not projectors. We are about to replace two Eiki LC-XT3 9600 lumen projectors. Our original plan was to replace them with 2 Eiki LC-XT5 which are 15,000 lumen projectors.
I now have dealer proposing 2 Christie Christie DW8K projectors at 7,500 lumens apiece. These projectors are DLP as opposed to LCD on the Eiki. Both projectors have a 2000:1 contrast ratio.
The dealer pushing the Christie says that the quality of the lenses and internal optics would make up for the difference in lumens. I could see where this would be true say between 12,000 and 15,000, but not 7500 to 15000. Does anybody have any thoughts on this.
Thanks in advance for your advice
Don Walker

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Alex Horvath
Re: Projectors
on Sep 22, 2008 at 7:37:25 am

You only will find out if you test it. If your dealer claims and is convinced he should do this for you. Distance approxm. 30m with a longzoom to an 8m screen.
Personally I´m not convinced.

multimedia and special events

Return to posts index

Vance Kane
on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:19:00 pm

Lumen levels are what you are looking for. There is no lens capable to substitute and compensate for a difference greater than 5k of
lumens in any video projector. I have used many different models
and manufactures of large video projectors / Sanyo, Barco, Digital Light, Christie; 8K - 20K / and the result is we have to provide
to the end client what they ask for in our equipment package.

The salesman is just trying to do his job, sell you stuff! Problem
is; he does not have to explain to your end client why the video is not bright enough at the venue!

Continue being the professional your are and stick with your technical requirements for equipment you want to purchase or rent
to make a good show!

Aloha,

Vance Kane

Return to posts index

Steve Wylie
on Oct 15, 2008 at 5:58:37 am

Not knowing what you're using the projectors for, I would say, as a general rule, that a 3-chip DLP projector will give you a better image -

Typically, a 3-chip DLP will give you more accurate colour reproduction, and less of a "pixel mesh" effect (i.e. very sharp individual pixels in the image, which is undesirable particularly for video applications).

I've used the Christie HD8K which is very similar to the DW8K, and I can say that it is indeed a good projector. You will notice the greatest benefits from DLP (compared with LCD) if you are edge-blending the two projectors to create a widescreen image - 3-chip DLP is generally much better at this.

Also, you will probably find that the lamps used in the Christie are better, and yes, the quality of the lenses will provide a truer light output... just not (close to) twice the ANSI lumens worth...

The question is whether or not you need projectors that bright - true 8,000ANSI lumens are likely to be suitable for most indoor venues with reasonably controlled lighting conditions for screen sizes up to, say 20ft wide per projector. Perhaps the ANSI lumens drop is worth the increase in image quality.

Also, consider other LCD projector offerings if they are available to you - Sanyo, Panasonic, and indeed Christie make comparable LCD projectors to the Eike projectors you're considering, and differences between the models such as price, weight, power consumption, lamp life/cost, lens range and lens quality, lumens output, and panel resolution might be considerations for you.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]