FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Concert Setup for Video Production, need advise.

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marlon Diaz
Live Concert Setup for Video Production, need advise.
on Sep 11, 2008 at 1:01:03 am

I have been hired for a video production coverage at the Bank United Center in Miami (at the UM basketball Arena) to video capture the 1st annual Miami Disco Fever concert (miamidiscofever.net) held this Saturday the 13th 2008. My client asked for 3-4 HD cameras (canon xh-a1,or xl-h1) and a video switcher that will feed from each cameraman and also feed out to a projector that my client rented from a different facilty to beam an image to the center screen on stage. The sole purpose of the video production is to film the 4-hour concert and edit on a later date - I am also the video editor hired for this project- and present the hightlights of the concert in a 10-15 minute DVD to my client so he can present the DVD for potential sponserships for the 2nd annual.

Here is the following equipment im looking into renting for this project,please advise me if im in the right track with the equipment and if I should add any addtional equipment.

Cameras:
4-Canon XL-H1 HD cameras.

Video Switcher:
1- Sony AWS-G500HD anycast station HD
1- or the Panasonic AVHS-400 Video Switcher with multiviewer.

Monitor:for the Panasonic switcher.
1- 17 inch Panasonic BT-LH1700W

1- Porta-Jib Standard with varizoom remote head and a HD monitor for the Jib with a operator.

I have a question about which video switcher to go with. The Sony AWS-G500HD anycast station seems like the winner here with the features that it comes with. Eliminating the need for multiple video monitors like the 17 inch Panasonic BT-LH1700W.

For sound I spoke to the sound crew to provide me with a stereo mix from their soundboard and a feed through XLR to one of my cameras for backup and to capture some room mics.

Here are some basic picture links of the Bank United Center from the outside and inside so you guys have an idea of the arena size:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/madvisionpro/miami%20disco%20fever...

Thank you,
Marlon Diaz

ps: this is my first post but trust me I always use the Creative Cow forums and site when I do my research. This is the number one site on the web. Its like a free million dollar class....thank you!!

Mad Vision Productions
Miami, FL

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Re: Live Concert Setup for Video Production, need advise.
on Sep 11, 2008 at 10:54:16 am

Hi,

Since yo are only taking one monitor you will definitiely need the switcher with the multiviewer, how else would you know which shot to take to. So that said, I would vote for the Panasonic. Very robust, very clean signal and features that look like they were made for your budget.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Marlon Diaz
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:07:32 pm

Hey Jan: thanks for replying.

quick question: If the "Sony Anycast Switcher AWGS-G500HD" allow u to preview your outputs, together with seven (7) windows to view each individual input source, eliminting the need for multiple video monitors. Would it be better to rent the Sony over the "Panasonic AV-HS400N Multiviewer" which I'll need a external monitor to preview which will cost me extra to rent?

to rent the Sony switcher cost $395/day
*The Panasonic cost $600/day plus the monitor $199/day

*Through a different rental facility the Panasonic switcher goes for $295/day but its been rented for the week. So that leaves me with the other rental company that offers the Panasonic switcher for $600/day plus the 17 inch monitor.

Besides the video switcher...is there any other equipment I should have at the live concert that will improve shots and quality?

Mad Vision Productions
Miami, FL

Return to posts index

Alex Horvath
on Sep 16, 2008 at 11:49:07 am

you will need an Intercom...

Pewrsonally I would go with the panasonic, more "haptic mixer feeling" and not so much opportunities to make mistakes. But take a bigger monitor like 20" or 21" for the multiview, you than can place the monitor farer away, because otherwise you are very limited in your view, with the sony you alwys have to have a concentrated look at this small tiny pictures beside the non ability to judge the picturequality.
As I remeber in the panas multiview you can switch to solo full screen views for each camera and judge the quality like exposure etc.

multimedia and special events

Return to posts index

Marlon Diaz
on Sep 16, 2008 at 7:22:59 pm

thank you. the shoot was on saturday the 13th. i ended up with the sony anycast station and must i say that machine is a monster and it is user friendly.

Mad Vision Productions
Miami, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]