FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC KM-1200 mixer with panasonic WV-3260 cameras

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chet Wesley
JVC KM-1200 mixer with panasonic WV-3260 cameras
on Sep 9, 2008 at 8:05:53 pm

I am trying to help someone out with this. He is trying to use a JVC KM-1200 video mixer with some Panasonic WV-3260 cameras. He is getting an image but seems to be having rolling image (sync?) issues.

The JVC mixer has several types of sync. Does anyone know how these two devices would work together? I've never used this type of Panasonic camera, personally.

I have only used the KM-1200 with some older cameras. Is there any incompatibilities between these two devices?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Alex Horvath
Re: JVC KM-1200 mixer with panasonic WV-3260 cameras
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:10:52 am

You will need an external syncgenerator, this same external syncsignal should get every device like cam and mixer.

For test purposes you can try one Cam signal as a syncgenerator and sending via an video distribution amplifier to the other devices.

alex

multimedia and special events

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:17:52 pm

When I tested this mixer with an old JVC BY-110, I didn't have to use an external sync generator. Is there something about the Panasonic WV-3260 that requires you to use an external generator?

Or is it that the WV-3260 has no sync input?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Horvath
on Sep 16, 2008 at 12:04:30 pm

maybe the JVC Cam was aligned perfectly so it worked with the mixer. Normally the panasonic cam should have a "genlock in" which you use as sync. If the cam was used with a timebasecorrector it could be that there is no sync input, than that´s bad luck...or you must organize an additional TBC

multimedia and special events

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Sep 16, 2008 at 6:20:40 pm

Oh, right, maybe I should have been more clear. The KM-1200 has a sync generator built in. I synced these BY-110u cameras from the jack on the back of the mixer marked "BB" into the sync input on the camera. I assume that is black burst.

So you are saying then that if the cameras don't have sync inputs, then you have to use an external TBC which you sync to the mixer either with it's built in sync generator, or with an external sync generator?

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Sep 16, 2008 at 8:07:22 pm

Hi,

What he means is that you have to gen-lock the cameras. This requires the camera to have a Gen-lock input. The WV-3260 could have one if it had the WV-AD36 camera back as an accessory. Since this camera is close to being around 10-12 years old, it isn't likely that you would find one of these on a stock shelf anywhere.

Sorry,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Sep 18, 2008 at 7:03:41 am

When I used the BY-110u cameras, I am pretty sure the sync input I am refering to was a gen lock input on those cameras. I don't know the difference between these different form of sync pulse signals, however (gen lock vs. black burst, etc).

The KM-1200 has jacks labeled "SYNC," "HD/BL," "VD/BB," and just "BB."

The ones with a slash mean that it is switchable between those two.

Return to posts index

Tyler Ries
on Dec 15, 2008 at 7:17:02 pm

I am currently using Panasonic WV-5100 with a JVC KM-2000 with success. What you need is to make sure you have a "gen-lock" or "sync" input on the camera. That might require an extra piece of hardware like the WV-AD36/37. If you do have those inputs, you can connect the "BB" (which is black burst) to the "gen-lock" or "sync" inputs. Also to keep the camera image from distorting when a transition is executed, you need to phase the cameras using a waveform monitor and comparing the camera image to black. This is more difficult to do if you do not have camera control units, so the adjustments will have to be made at the camera. Instructions can be found in the manual for the WV-AD36 (found on http://www.manualshark.org). As far as I know, the JVC KM-1200 does have an internal sync generator, so using the BB output should provide the cameras with the proper signal to synchronize them together and to the switcher. This is also old equipment, so re-phasing might be required every once in a while due to phase drifting or if the cable lengths to the cameras change. Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]