FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projecting HD and SD

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Waldorf
Projecting HD and SD
on Aug 4, 2008 at 3:46:40 pm

My organization is showing a dozen or so films, a few of which are in HD but most are in SD.

In the past we have burned a DVD because we had a normal projector. But recently we got an HD projector, the Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080.
(http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63068239)
I'm fairly sure it upscales everything to 1080p, however, the built in video scaler in the projector can only be so good.

What would be the best way to display our movies?
Burning all to a DVD, therefore compressing the HD movies into an SD resolution.
If we did that would it be a good idea to invest in an up converting DVD player, or a separate video scaler?

We also talked about playing all the movies from a Macbook Pro hooked up via DVi to HDMI into the projector. I guess we would make multiple quicktime movies for the different resolutions, and make it one presentation.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
Re: Projecting HD and SD
on Aug 5, 2008 at 12:33:27 am

Even though projectors can upconvert they generally do a okay job. For great upconversion and a good price point check out the Oppo upconverting DVD players (981HD). They are fantastic. Here is a link to AVSFORUMS.COM, they love this player. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1001832
or check out http://www.oppodigital.com/ The oppo players have high quality Faroudja processing and look great.

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Sam Waldorf
on Aug 5, 2008 at 1:37:45 am

So, your suggesting to compress everything, even the HD content to a DVD and then use an upconverting DVD player?

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Aug 5, 2008 at 3:33:31 am

Sorry about that...I missed the HD content part of the post. If the films are less than 30 minutes you can encode the content to HDDVD format in Apple Compressor changing the bit-rate to around 15-19Mb/s and burn them using DVD studio pro to a regular DVD5 (single sided, single layered DVD-R). The HDDVD players will play back the content without any problems and it will look amazing. The HD-DVD players are also nice up-converting players for SD DVDs. I have done this many, many times and have had great success. You can still buy the 1080i / 720p Toshiba A3 HDDVD player for about 60 bucks. http://www.warehousedeals.com/Toshiba-HDA3-720p1080i-HD-DVD-Player/M/B000U6...

Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Aug 5, 2008 at 3:41:19 am

By the way, don't play the video out of the Macbook Pro. It will not look right. The output on the DVI connection of the laptop is RGB and not YUV ( video's color space ) computers don't do well with video playback. If you have a matrox mxo or AJA IOHD you can get the YUV component video output via firewire. We use a HD media player from a small company called qplay. I capture a live stream of 1080i HDV video (essentially 25Mb/s mpeg 2 the same as HDDVD and BLU-RAY) directly to our mac pro and copy the .m2t or .ts file to the player via usb. The player has component video output (the larger model has DVI with YUV as well. They are about 600 bucks and work great aside from a cheezy interface and clunky controls. The 600 dollar player looks 10 times better than video from any of our computers except our Mac Pro with an AJA Kona lHe output card.

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Aug 5, 2008 at 3:42:24 am

qplay has a weird url :

http://www.q-play.us/

Nick

Return to posts index

Sam Waldorf
on Aug 5, 2008 at 5:00:55 pm

Can a regular Apple super drive burn HD DVDs ?

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Aug 5, 2008 at 2:09:39 pm

Take a look at Thomson Grass Valley's Turbo iDDR. It will handle SD and HD.

http://professional.grassvalley.com/products/turbo/

You might be able to rent the Turbo or other DDR from your local staging company if this is a one time event. If it's an ongoing program you should get a demo and see what you think. The cost is about the same as you would pa for a low end Betacam deck - about 10K used or 13 - 15K new.

Although this sounds like a sales pitch I don't work for GVG. Our company does use their K2 file servers as well as a Turbo unit. A clip server (DDR) is a good solution when the situation calls for playing out many clips & formats. If the Grass unit doesn't fit your needs or budget have a look at the other DDR's out there: Abekas Clipstore, Drastic Technologies, Digital Rapids, RaveHD, BUGtv (Mac based), AVstumfl and others.

Return to posts index

Randy Lee
on Aug 6, 2008 at 2:17:11 pm

Yes, a regular Superdrive can burn HD DVD to a normal DVD. You need to make sure that in DVD SP you set the project to be HD. Then you bring in your video and menus if needed as usual, build as usual, and can either burn from DVD SP or Toast when you're done. The actual physical DVD is the same as any other, a DVD5, also called a DVD-R or DVD+R. The only difference is that the 0s and 1s that you're burning to it conform to the HD DVD spec instead of DVD. And make sure that your projects are short enough to fit on a normal DVD, over half an hour or so won't fit. I believe this sort of thing has been discussed before on the COW, so if you're going to go that route, a quick search should give you everything you need.

Best of luck to you, and let us know what route you end up going with.

Return to posts index

Sam Waldorf
on Aug 9, 2008 at 10:04:48 pm

Thanks for all the help so far.

Just a few more things.

I compressed the original HD file in compressor using H.264.
Then set all the settings in DVD studio to HD-DVD. However, when I put the burned disc into, say, a computer, the native window size is 480. It's the size of a normal dvd is that irrelevant or is it not HD?

Also, for the films we'll be showing we might have 2-3 HD films and about a dozen or so SD films, they need to be shown in one linear presentation, but if we were to put them all on a regular DVD burned as an HDDVD then they would not all fit.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]