FORUMS: list search recent posts

questions on old school TV studio equipmet

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chet Wesley
questions on old school TV studio equipmet
on Aug 1, 2008 at 8:31:33 pm

Hi, I recently acquired a bunch of tv studio equipment for next to nothing.

2 JVC BY-110 cameras with rs-110 controller units and cables, a KM-1200 video switcher.

Well the cameras are in pretty bad shape - the image coming out of them is messed up.

However, I notice that on the back of the controller units, there are auxiliary video inputs. Do you know if it would be possible to feed an external video input into the rs-100 units? Would the rs-110 provide the sync for that aux signal (right now I have the mixer hooked up to the rs-100 to provide black burst sync), or is that sync signal strictly provided through the big camera cable, and not provided to the aux video inputs?

I know this equipment is pretty archaic, so the chances of anyone being that familiar with it might be pretty slim but thanks anyway if you can help.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: questions on old school TV studio equipmet
on Aug 1, 2008 at 10:08:17 pm

I'm not familiar with any of the gear mentioned, but I'll take a shot at this. I'm going to assume that the RS-110 is a CCU (camera control unit) for the BY-110 camera. The aux input on most CCU's is reserved for sending return video back to the camera head, so the operator can view e program feed or whatever the engineer routes to the aux input. In short, you can't use the box to sync a composite signal - you need a TBC if that's what you're trying to do.

With regards to the cameras - they are probably good for museum pieces or giant paper weights. The old tube camera's had to be realigned on a regular basis. Even if you had an engineer realign the tubes the picture would still be terrible. I would guess that those cameras are 20 years old. The quality of imagers has changed quite a bit in the last couple of decades.

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Aug 1, 2008 at 10:17:32 pm

Yes, that is right the rs-110 is a CCU. Thanks for answering my question, that clears things up.

The cameras are messed up, I don't think there is any hope for them, which is why I was hoping to be able to use the mixer to switch other non-sync requiring cameras.

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Aug 3, 2008 at 9:53:17 pm

OK, sorry, I've got one further question - about needing a TBC - so essentially, what I would need if I wanted to use the KM-1200 for a mixer for sources, other than a camera with sync input, is a TBC for each channel, correct?

I am assuming I would need one with a BB (Black Burst) input, right? So I would plug the BB output from the KM-1200 into the TBC's BB input, and plug the camera or whatever video input source into the TBC, TBC video output into KM-1200 composite input? Is there anything more to it than that?

Is there anything in particular that I would need to look for in such a TBC? The switcher has outputs labeled "SYNC," one with a switch labeled "HD/DL" (I have no idea what that one is), another with a switch labeled "VD/BB" and then three "BB" jacks. I used the BB jack to sync the camera when I tested it (because that is the only one that had any result when I patched to the "Gen Lock" input on the camera's CCU).

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Aug 4, 2008 at 1:26:37 pm

" Is there anything more to it than that? " - CW

Well, yes there's a lot more to it. You need a decent waveform/vectorscope and an engineer to properly time all the sources.

I don't recommend trying to resurrect the KM-2000. You could throw a bunch of money at it just to find that it's not a very good switcher. Sorta like spending a bunch of money fixing a Ford Pinto's brakes and then have the transmission fail a few weeks later.

It sounds like you need a switcher with built in frame syncs (so you don't have to worry about system timing) or you may need a simple 4 x 1 router. I'm not clear on what the intended use for the switcher is.

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Aug 4, 2008 at 7:30:13 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the response. Well, I guess the idea is that I got this mixer basically for free. I have tested it with a camera with sync input, and I know the mixer works fine.

You can't just sync the TBCs while you look at a monitor and switch between the sources and see that they are coming through fine? I am not an engineer, but I have a bit of experience with video switching and equipment, so this isn't a totally new venture to me, just the synced inputs are new to me.

I actually have access to another switcher with built in frame syncs. I am wondering if I can make something useful out of this switcher that I got for free by spending a little money on TBCs to sync non-syncable inputs.

Could you explain what the results would be if I didn't have a vectorscope?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Aug 4, 2008 at 8:57:03 pm

Without a vectorscope you can't adjust the SC phase with any certainty. In simple terms the color might be out of whack. If you're not doing critical work I suppose you could eyeball the sync and phase. "Close enough for government work", as they say.

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
one more relaed question
on Aug 1, 2008 at 11:55:05 pm

Does anyone who knows this equipment know if the RS-110 CCU is capable of controlling any other cameras, or only the BY-110s? Did JVC generally design CCUs specifically to go with their studio cameras?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: one more relaed question
on Aug 3, 2008 at 3:22:28 pm

CCU's are designed to work with a specific camera. Some CCU's will work with different model numbers from the same manufacturers (ex.; Sony cams 950 & 1500 will work with the same CCU). But it depends on what back end is mounted to the head.

Here's a JVC museum if you decide to get rid of the gear.
http://www.smecc.org/jvc_video.htm

Return to posts index

Hiram Featherheart
on Dec 11, 2009 at 7:30:30 pm

A message for Chet Wesley (or anyone else with an interest.):
What ever happened with the old JVC BY-110 video equipment you spoke of last year? I have a camera I've been tinkering with and I need a few other things. Please contact me at my email? (PiSqr@aol.com)
Thanx - Mike.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]