FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projecting uncompressed Quicktime movie for event

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dorit grunberger
Projecting uncompressed Quicktime movie for event
on Jul 10, 2008 at 8:43:09 am

Hi to all

We're making a 10 minute photo montage set to music for a friend's wedding. I'd like to project it with the best quality and was thinking an uncompressed quicktime movie would look much better than a compressed, authored (DVD Pro) DVD. What do I need to ask the hotel AV folks for this to work? I'll bring our Macbook and the Quicktime movie on it of course.
The actual montage is being made in FCP, and I'm assuming the output is 720 x 480. Is there any special cable requirements for best sound? Any special settings to get the visuals right?
Or is there a better suggestion altogether?

Thanks in advance for any help. I really don't want to screw this up.

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
Re: Projecting uncompressed Quicktime movie for event
on Jul 11, 2008 at 7:19:36 pm

Stay away from uncompressed video. You will end up with a huge file (about 15 gig) for the 10 minute video and you will need a beefy system to play it back. ( video raid and multiprocessor preferred ). You will get a much better product if you export using photo jpg compression. Export it in progressive format (no interlacing). The best option would be to create the video project in the native resolution of the projector you will present on (probably 1024x768). For a photo slideshow uncompressed video is way overkill. You will be very satisfied with the photo jpg compression. Good luck.

Nick

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Jul 11, 2008 at 9:20:28 pm

"For a photo slideshow uncompressed video is way overkill. You will be very satisfied with the photo jpg compression. Good luck."

Thanks so much for the response. I didn't know about the export photo jpg option. Will it also export the sound track then? And all the transitions/effects?
And no less important, what do I tell the venue in terms of what they need to supply? For the visuals as well as the soundtrack?

thanks again, this is very helpful

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Jul 11, 2008 at 10:38:37 pm

The audio will sync with the video. The photo jpg codec will be used for the video only. The audio will be set as you desire...DV uses uncompressed audio 16bit 48khz.

Nick

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Jul 11, 2008 at 9:52:27 pm

If the sync to music is less of an issue than resolution, you ought to run the slidshow of photos out of iPhoto directly.

If sync is primarily important, then you should go ahead and make a DVD. It is the most economical, reliable way to go, and the Hotel AV will be able to deal with it just fine. It would also probably be fairly acceptable in terms of quality.

There ARE ways to do very high quality sync'd playback (at HD or better quality) but they demand specialized playback systems like media servers (Watchout, Wings, Catalyst, Hippo, etc) that are clearly very expensive and way beyond the expertise of the hotel AV.

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

dorit grunberger
on Jul 11, 2008 at 11:37:15 pm

I don't think iPhoto can make any of the motion and other transitions and effects FCP makes, but maybe I don't know something.
So if I understand correctly, there is no way around compressing and playing from an authored DVD. Such a shame. I wanted it to look better than that. I guess I still don't understand what the problem is with feeding a Quicktime movie to the electronics of the projector. Sorry to keep coming back to that. I understand that uncompressed might be a problem but I've had great results with these types of photo montages set to music exported from FCP as H.264 quicktime conversions. I never had to project them though. So if anyone feels like mentoring me around these issues that would be great

And thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]