FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording to HDV

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Sundermann
Recording to HDV
on Jun 6, 2008 at 2:47:14 pm

Hi everyone:

We're getting ready to upgrade a lot of equipment. We're purchasing three JVC-HD250 cameras and an AJA i/o HD box to work with our Mac Pro towers for editing in Final Cut Pro. Now we're trying to figure out a deck to record this all onto. So far, we've been looking at the JVC BR-HD50U. The kicker here is we also want to do live production with these cameras, using a switcher that accepts HD-SDI inputs. We've been looking at either the Slate 1000 (very cool, 20K switcher with clip stores, DVEs, and many other options...) or a simple switcher like the Panasonic AV-HS400.

So, we come out of the cameras and into the switcher via HD-SDI, and then we get stuck trying to go from the switcher to the deck. The only HD input that JVC deck has is FW400. Of course, neither switcher does not have a FW 400 output on it.

In looking at other decks and switcher combinations, we haven't found an inexpensive solution to record the switched program, trying to keep the program recorded in HDV 720p60, since that's what our editing stations will accept. But we can't find an HDV deck that has any input that the switchers will put out. We've seen some DVCPRO HD decks that would work, but A) Those are $25,000, and B) we have HDV decks at our edit stations, so we wouldn't be able to ingest the DVCPRO HD format.

We did come across an Edirol VC-300HD multi format converter that will take in HD-SDI and spit it out HDV FW400 to go into our deck... But that's a $9,500 converter box...

So the question I have for you all... We've got the cameras and switcher... But how do we record the show? Or... Are we just stuck with spending that $9,500?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
Re: Recording to HDV
on Jun 11, 2008 at 7:46:49 pm

Concerning switchers, I haven't anything too hot concerning the Slate series. A few people that I know who own them have had stability issues and are not entirely fond of the fact that it runs on full Windows XP. That aside, it is a very reasonably priced solution. Have you checked into the For-A HVS400? It will do HD-SDI. I would say that or the Panasonic 400 you're talking about. These will sit you around $15k and under (base line). If you were to go with either of these choices you could go component out into a Sony deck perhaps? I thought one of them had a component input, maybe I'm totally wrong. My idea would be to stick digital with your acquisition versus going to tape. That's what we do around here if we need to capture anything above SD.

//nick

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
Re: Recording to HDV
on Aug 28, 2008 at 8:49:52 pm

If you are getting the IOHD, you don't need a deck. Capture live to an external esata drive on you MP. The IOHD is not used for editing, it is used ONLY for capturing. HD SDI from you switcher to the IOHD and 800FW to the MP. You ISO tapes on your camera's but send the switched feed to the IOHD.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]