FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Delay on a Live Stream (for swears etc)

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Orger
Time Delay on a Live Stream (for swears etc)
on May 27, 2008 at 5:10:12 pm

Hi,

I'm about to start on a video project that will essentially be live Flash video webcasting, using the Sony Anycast as a switcher, and feeding to a PC running Adobe Flash Media Encoder, then uploading to a content delivery network (e.g. Akamai).

Despite promising that we will make sure there is nothing offensive that goes out in the stream, our boss is quite insistent on having a 'big red button' which will bleep out any offensive / libellous words etc, which might occur if we have guests on who say the wrong things etc...

I've been scouring the web for solutions of how to try and implement this but so far come up with nothing, except a company called http://www.timedelay.tv who hire out a delay unit to programmes like Big Brother etc... however I think this is going to be a bit over budget for this project, so does anyone know of any other ways to achieve this, is it something that can be done in software maybe? We were hoping to connect the Anycast via Firewire to the PC and feed the DV stream into Adobe Encoder to upload - could we maybe add a second PC to this, in a chain, and run something on their to delay the stream?

Any ideas about how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Time Delay on a Live Stream (for swears etc)
on May 28, 2008 at 9:48:40 pm

One decidedly cheap way: a used TIVO with analog video/audio inputs in your signal chain, somewhere between the switcher and the streaming encoder, recording and playing back in real time, but offset on the playback by a minute. You'll have to throw up some kind of graphic to fill until you can use the TIVO remote to skip past the bad bit and resume the stream. But used TIVO's are dirt cheap. It does add a layer of A/D conversion to your signal chain which is bad for resolution, but your boss has to weigh cost versus functionality.

Return to posts index

Thomas Orger
on May 29, 2008 at 12:24:57 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your idea, I had wondered about using a PVR sort of solution, but wasn't quite sure if it would work - I might have to get my hands on a used Tivo and test this idea out though.
I wonder if there are any software based PVRs that could do this with a DV stream to avoid the A/D conversion..

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 29, 2008 at 12:44:50 pm

I know that Video Toasters have built-in DDR's in them, what I don't know is if the DDR can be used like this internally. Might want to ask somebody in the Toaster forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]