FORUMS: list search recent posts

WATCHOUT for Corporate Event

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray kiVinski
WATCHOUT for Corporate Event
on May 12, 2008 at 5:51:12 pm

Hello:

I am researching using WATCHOUT for an event in October.
The particulars:
Widescreen (20 x 60 or so) - Looking for seamless background
Little or No Rehearsal Time
Playback of Client Suppled Videos
Client Supplied PowerPoint (may see as presenter enters stage)
Screen Dress and Titles pre-produced for Watchout
Event Primarily Image Magnification (4 Camera switched)

My Questions:
1) Using Osprey Card in Shuttle Box, what quality can be expected for Image Magnification? Any delay? 2) Should we run the PowerPoint through a Datapath card? Can we also use this for the Image Magnification? 3) Is there a cheaper, easier better solution for this instance?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: WATCHOUT for Corporate Event
on May 13, 2008 at 5:22:19 am

I think Bob is better qualified to answer this, but while we wait...I'll give it my 2 cents -

Q1) Using Osprey Card in Shuttle Box, what quality can be expected for Image Magnification? Any delay?

A1) Best quality is from S-video input. Delay? Yes...from what I hear about 1-2 frames so lipsync in IMAG will probably be a problem. I have the Osprey 210 in my Shuttles and with cable TV as the source, there is no frame delay. But with a DV camera as source, there is. Your mileage may vary...and I strongly suggest that you test, and test again with your camera/switching system through Ospreys well before you on-site.

Q2) Should we run the PowerPoint through a Datapath card. Can we also use this for the Image Magnification?

A1) You can use the Datapath for IMAG in addition to Powerpoint. Needs source switching in Watchout.
Running Powerpoint through the Datapath is one alternative. Another is to use VNC, either UltraVNC or TightVNC. But either way results in Powerpoint being dependent on the card to get things on screen. A third alternative is to place a black mask for the Powerpoint onto Watchout's timeline, and feed the Powerpoint via a third beamer inot this black hole. Advantage here is that you are less dependent on the Watchout Display PC and Datapath card. There is a cost increase if you have to hire an extra beamer for the Powerpoint and switcher...but this is offset with having to purchase/hire Datapath cards to do a seamless overlay.
Again, you must test and test again well before getting on-site.

Q3) Is there a cheaper, easier better solution for this instance?

A3) Easier and better, but not cheaper unless you hire. Use a hardware-based solution like Spyder, Hippo, Folsom, etc... with multiple inputs and output capabilities and beamers with soft-edge features to do seamless. These allow for switching of sources, etc...and IMO is far better in a live situation where you have to cater for the unexpected, little rehearsals, etc. Timeline-based software solutions like Watchout and other do not allow for such flexibility in a live situation.

Additionally, using client-supplied Videos, you are likely to have to play these over a background. Such video are not made to fit a 60x20 format (3:1). They are either 16:9 or 4:3. And they are likely to come in a DVD disk or something...and with Watchout, you would have to import and place these in the timeline and probably use place/name markers to 'jump to' when required during the presentation. These are actions which you have to do BEFORE the event begins. Hardware-based solutions allow you to insert/play an external source at the last minute if the unexpected turns up.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
Re: WATCHOUT for Corporate Event
on May 13, 2008 at 6:49:42 am

I've never tried running IMAG through Watchout... The only situation where I had to mix Watchout with IMAG we used a BARCO Encore to window the IMAG and the Watchout output.

In most common media servers the frame delay is around 2 frames. It can depend on the quality of the input card, and of course it may be effected by the node's platform bandwidth.

Given the rehearsal restrictions Watchout or Wings is a good choice... their timeline interfaces make for quick and intuitive programming and updating. I have run powerpoint through watchout, with mixed results... I am going to put my eggs in Thomas's basket here. You might want to consider a multi input windowing system like Spyder, Montage, or Encore to ensure smooth implementation of IMAG and external PP.

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]