FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building Production facility

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Cameron
Building Production facility
on Apr 10, 2008 at 3:24:31 am

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to ask this question.
I work at a school. I am the resident film maker but I am not that experienced. The school is moving into a new building and they want to create a full media program. They want me to tell them what space I need. I want to add editing suites, a small set and a sound booth or studio.
Can anyone tell me what is the best place in a building to have these? There is the main floor, upstairs and a basement. What attributes should these rooms have? Also, should I add anything else? We have two cameras, mics including two lavs (will be getting wireless), we have a lighting kit, dvd transfer decks, Adobe Premier Pro for editing...

Thank you.

Carla

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: Building Production facility
on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:17:17 am

Best place to ask such questions might be at http://forums.creativecow.net/forum/corporatevideo

But my 2-cents worth is that the layout should contemplate and balance the workflow versus aesthetics.

For example, visitors/clients should not have to walk through a battleground area created by production-in-progress in order to get to the preview room. So all conference/meeting rooms should be located near the main entrance area. As one gets deeper into the building, this is where the real production and post production areas should be located. Balance this objective with the need for crew, talents, make-up artistes, etc...and the need to move heavy equipment or props in and out for shoots, as well as the need for the set studio to have higher ceiling space for lighting and the occasional tall set, such that the set studio should be located in an easy access area with ample space and the highest ceiling available (i.e. ideally on the ground floor, rather than up the stairs or in the basement).

So as a starting point, contemplate:
- editing and graphics facilities upstairs
- set, equipment storage, reception and meeting rooms on the ground floor
- offices for paper-work in the basement

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]