FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pre Cut Video with Live Musicians....am I crazy?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ally Shore
Pre Cut Video with Live Musicians....am I crazy?
on Mar 22, 2008 at 5:22:10 am

Hello Live Production Gurus of Creative Cow

I'm designing an event where I will have a live band and singers. I will precut video that works with the songs being sung and will have soundbites that need to come up at the right point in the music. Here's my question...am I nuts? What would be the best approach technically to pull something like this off?

Do I create a click track for the conductor to hear through headsets? I love the idea of this multi media approach with live music, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this. Have any of you guys tried this? Creative Cow has never let me down before...so I'm hoping for a good answer or at least some good encouragement.

thanks
Ally

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
Re: Pre Cut Video with Live Musicians....am I crazy?
on Mar 22, 2008 at 4:50:01 pm

I can attest that I have done content in sync with a live band over the past 4 months. What we do because of how our show works, is the band's drummer will fire their click track out of itunes which then routes to our video assist. He'll listen to it and trigger it content at the beginning of the song. Our content is built as one track the length of each song.
The other options we worked on was to build the click track to your video so that when you play the video, you just route your click track to whoever needs it. If your event has this amount of control, then you'll be fine.
All it comes down to is whether or not your talent can stay on their click track, as we have learned.
If it helps here is one of our events in which we triggered 5 screens worth of content in sync with the band:

//nick

Return to posts index

Ally Shore
on Mar 22, 2008 at 5:44:22 pm

Nick,

Great looking piece, gave me some great ideas to show my graphics designer. I had a feeling that the click track was the way to go. Sadly it's a medley of songs, so it's going to be a real bear. If I can get it to look anything like yours I'll be happy.

Thanks
Ally

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
on Mar 22, 2008 at 8:29:01 pm

We have animated about 8 other songs in total over just this one. We just worked it through with the band in rehearsals as to how we would work out cuing each song. Some songs require more warning than others to fire the cue and so we ask the band to give us more lead time before starting in, etc.
It's the simplest method without going to a full on show control system which we attempted to build ourselves but opted out just for this theory instead.
Hope this helps.

//nick

Return to posts index

Paul Hawkridge
on Mar 27, 2008 at 5:16:49 pm

Hi there,

Could I ask what playback devides you used for that setup please?

It looked fantastic. Right now im finishing my 3screen edit for a university project that I'll be using Wings for and triggering lights too.

Im interesting to hear how people acheive their rsults in other ways.

Thanks

Paul

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
on Mar 28, 2008 at 5:46:04 pm

Paul,

We use two programs produced by a company called Renewed Vision. That back three screen wall is done with ProVideo Player. What you do is run a Mac (MacMinis in this case) per screen, you run the software and then it allows remote triggering of the content via another mac also running pro video player. The software allows, as the call it, grid mapping in which it will split footage across all of your displays, hence allowing for the three screen wall.
The two outside screens are running ProPresenter which is a presentation/video playback program. It is meant for presenting slides, lyrics, videos, countdown timers, etc. We use a special module that allows ProVideo Player to interact with ProPresenter. So when we trigger our back video wall's computers it triggers the ProPresenter computer running the full 5 screens worth of content.
You can check it out over at http://www.renewedvision.com!
ProVideo Player supports MIDI In if you're looking for remote triggering!

//nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]