FORUMS: list search recent posts

Large Screen on Stage

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Wharmby
Large Screen on Stage
on Mar 6, 2008 at 10:21:49 pm

Hey all,

I'm shooting an Iron Chef style demonstration at a large festival. It's going to be mid day, in July but the stage is covered from the top, but open on the sides, blocking maybe three stops of light. My boss wants to put up a big screen visible to the audience, but can't really spring for an LED screen truck. What are my options? Everything I'm hearing tells me that projectors and plasma won't work with this much ambient light. Anybody run up against this type of problem before?

Thanks,

Daniel Wharmby
Art Director
OMG Media Group
Read me at Compressionista

Thanks,

Daniel Wharmby
Art Director
OMG Media Group
Read me at Compressionista

Return to posts index

Alex Horvath
Re: Large Screen on Stage
on Mar 8, 2008 at 5:13:25 pm

maybe 2 smaller screens with rearprojection could work better than one huge front projection screen, but anyway with frontprojection and ambientlight around, pictures always will look washed out. The reason is simply because the screen will not only reflect projectors light also the ambient light.
Working in such facilities, without the right budget (LED 4/5mm) is always a compromise but

since a year for fixed installation in bright areas, we are now using "supernova screens" very successfully. And last year they came out with a special optical frontprojection model http://www.supernovascreen.com/Supernovascreen/The%20screen/Screen%20models...
The testing results were very impressive and the best I´ve ever seen so far. The ambientlight (even sun) is filtered from this optical screen so well that you get contrasty clear pictures. No hotspot and sufficient viewing angle.
The only disadvantage instead of a standard screen is price (and the weight), but it is still a lot of cheaper than a LED-wall. but maybe you can get in touch with the company if and who will rent.

good luck
alex

multimedia and special events

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Mar 11, 2008 at 4:36:59 am

Yep, that's tuff to say "we can't do it sometimes", but that's one of those. If this was in a tent, you could build a tunnel and possibly get away with rear projecting with a minimum of 15000 lumens. I'm talking about a screen no bigger than 14 ' wide. But even with that, it will look washed out. Either way, anything above that will be "very" costly. My advice, stay away from daylight projection unless the budget is above 100 K.

If they have the money, I would go with Alex on that one.

Vince

Return to posts index

Marc Nowinski
on Aug 20, 2010 at 2:37:43 pm

a bit late for the above event, but just for future reference. We have very good results with a combination of high powered 15k beamers doing rear projection in an inflatable cube. Image quality is good, screen needs to be well positioned and equipped with the right beamers. Then you have a real alternative to LED walls.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]