FORUMS: list search recent posts

presentation

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brennan Wright
presentation
on Feb 18, 2008 at 10:10:27 pm

I need to have a sunset on command. it is for a live Mrs. America type of thing for my city. i have to have a picture of a beach and then have it change to a night scene and stop on a still image. so far i am starting with a time lapse, but i do not know what program to use. i have started with power point but so far it has been troublesome. and suggestions?

My Humble Reel

Return to posts index

Brennan Wright
Re: presentation
on Feb 19, 2008 at 4:36:25 am

oh yeah i have already tried wings but didn't like it too much...

My Humble Reel

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Feb 19, 2008 at 4:59:40 am

Two ways: If you're running in a predictable cueing environment, you could precompose the clip in, say After Effects, with a time remap that ramps up... Even smoother with a plug like Twixtor. Conversely, any media server that can ramp playspeed (Hippotizer, Pandora's Box, M-Box) could start the clip at 0 fps, and ramp it in, freezing on the final frame of the look you needed. These can be found (one or the other) in many regional renting and staging companies.

Bob

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Brennan Wright
on Feb 19, 2008 at 5:40:50 am

Is there any software that can do this? The only way i can do this is through our laptop.

My Humble Reel

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Feb 19, 2008 at 9:05:19 am

If your presentation is already in a video file format, you could use the freeware VLC player -

1. Hook up the second monitor/projector to the laptop's VGA out and enable/extend your desktop that in Windows.

2. Drag the vlc player to the secondary monitor, not all the way, only as far as the video will play in the second monitor.

3. double-click on any part of the video screen, and vlc will play fullscreen to the secondary monitor whilst the vlc controls remain on the primary.

4. The vlc controls have this << (reverse) control which effectively -
a) disables the sound
b) slow mo the video (a second click on this << increase the slow-mo more, etc...untitl it becomes a freeze-frame effectively. Else, just hit the pause key on the controls).

IMO, Wings Basic is far more effective and simple in operation for what you require. Liking it is another thing. But the free Basic version (registration required though for continued usage) will output to the secondary monitor in fullscreen presentation mode. Spacebar controls play and pause modes. If your laptop's graphics card can output XGA on the secondary output, you will get that to your projection merely by dragging the Preview window to the secondary mon and clicking anywhere within the preview window to get it to display fullscreen on that monitor. Although the Basic version has one track for Pictures, you can dissolve between pictures merely by overlapping them on the same track till you see the dissolve ramp band. There is also one Audio and one Video track available. Furthermore with the ramp bands, you can specify the amount of light output for a particular picture/video, etc...to get that sunset light just right.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
on Feb 20, 2008 at 3:38:04 am

I would think that if you break up your clip into multiple cues it would work well; the sunset, night scape, etc. Just trigger each cue independently, and let software cross fade each one.

With Renewed Vision's ProVideo Player you can manipulate speed in realtime if you wanted your cue to be just one clip. By default, you can set a clip to play and when it reaches the last frame, it will hold on it. Therefore, waiting until you click the second cue which it can crossfade into.

You can check out a free demo at: http://www.renewedvision.com

//nick

Return to posts index

Erik Mitchell
on Feb 23, 2008 at 12:21:22 am

yeah! go try provideoplayer if you've got a mac.. their program is legit! you can use it to run... anything!

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Feb 23, 2008 at 7:30:21 am

Run anything ?

Can it warp to adjust for irregular objects ?

How many displays can be blended into a combined raster ?

Can I run 2k or 4k footage on it ? How many layers ?

Does it have built in media encoding ?

Can I ramp speed up and down on live input feeds ?

Can I run it with DMX control, and taking MIDI triggers simultaneously ?

Just asking...

Bob

MODE Studios
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rivero
on Feb 23, 2008 at 5:32:33 pm

I'm pretty sure that if someone is trying to build a simple multiscreen display, ProVideo Player is more than enough.

Can i buy a 3 screen ProVideo Player setup for a weeks rental on a Watchout.... hmmm...

I don't feel that the solution is always in high end gear. Sometimes it's the simple things that work better.

Can your wings, watchout, catalyst, hippo, axiom, DL3, or whatever do everything you've described. Yes. Does the average person need all of that? Probably not.

//nick

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Feb 23, 2008 at 6:10:08 pm

touche Nick... Fundamentally, I agree with you. It IS often the simple things that work best.

And I think that the inherent power of computers today, paired with a simple solution like ProVideo Presenter, make for a cheap and robust solution that probably strikes a bit of fear into the more expensive products.

That said, many of the aspects I mention prove critical for show situations. More and more we see irregular screens or actual scenery we have to project on, as well as a desire for unified control. I can't even count the number of clients who show up with media of every conceivable kind; leading to a situation where built in encoding becomes utterly necessary and not just convenient.

The great thing is that ProPresenter will probably be incorporating all of this in time, and probably without significant price change.

Best,
Bob

MODE Studios
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Brennan Wright
on Feb 21, 2008 at 4:33:59 am

with wings, is there any way to create cues?

My Humble Reel

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Feb 21, 2008 at 8:50:16 am

Yes. Cues would be called Triggers in Wings. One can easily create triggers for devices (relays, DMX, etc...generally requires the appropriate Stumpfl hardware unless one's Master or Slave PC has the hardware/port built-in, eg. RS-232 or midi) or via multiple Timelines each triggered by a Show Control Panel trigger. Only one Timeline can play at any one time.

For multiple Timelines, one would require the Advanced version and upwards. The Basic version is...well...basic. Minimal Show Control features, no cues.

Thomas

Return to posts index

Brennan Wright
on Feb 23, 2008 at 5:43:04 am

yeah sadly i do not have a mac that i can use right now. i will try wings tomorrow and see how it works.

My Humble Reel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]