FORUMS: list search recent posts

best video format for watchout ?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rodpacker
best video format for watchout ?
on Oct 31, 2007 at 12:24:12 am

Hey All,

I am going to have to put a dataton watchout show together once more. to put it straight up I am not very impressed by this software and it's capabilities as there is heaps of other cheaper and better tools out there, but the client wants it so we have to deal with it.
The format for the whole show will be 3328*768 which will be solved by 4 1024*768 projectors with overlap.
There will be the need of screenfilling animation for some parts of the show supplied as videos.
For the display machines all we've got is 4 machines with 3GHZ P4s and NVidia 7300 GraficCards. I am supposed to use 10k WMV's video files in a resolution of 1024*768px and I have had issues with that same rigg and video format in a resolution of 1024*576px. I am wondering now if there is a less CPU and GPU intensive video format that is supported in WatchOut. (I have been told quicktime will be an issue within watchout, but couldn't find anything in the forums).
thanx a lot for your help
cheers

Return to posts index

ThomasLeong
Re: best video format for watchout ?
on Oct 31, 2007 at 7:23:58 am

IMHO, you will have to pre-split with After Effects or equivalent for any movies that are expected to fill the 3328x768.

For the PiP Videos, WMVs are processor intensive, MPEG-2 less so, even at high datarates. The suggestion from Watchout's Showroom forum is to encode as all I-frames with a GOP size = 1 at 12-15 MBit/sec, turn on sequence headers on every GOP, and de-interlace as part of your encoding process to end with a progressive MPEG-2.

If you need the alpha channel, then Quicktime Animation is the recommended codec.

ThomasLeong

Return to posts index

rodpacker
on Oct 31, 2007 at 7:29:46 pm

Thanx Thomas. R EALLY appreciated. Going to try that now.
Ron

Return to posts index

SiNiSon
on Jan 9, 2008 at 11:05:32 pm

Been researching Watchout for a project coming up.. interested in your "there is heaps of other cheaper and better tools out there" comment..

Before we perhaps choose the wrong solution I would like to research all options.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]