FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anything wrong with running 200ft of composite video from my camera?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Ferar
Anything wrong with running 200ft of composite video from my camera?
on Oct 3, 2007 at 10:39:27 pm

I've got a unique situation. Usually we shoot weddings for postproduciton only. This time I have a couple who would like a feed from my camera to be projected on large screens as the groom makes his grand entrance (on a horse). The projection system is already taken care of by the hotel in house AV techs and will be expecting an RCA composite feed.

The run from the entrance to the projector is about 130 ft. so I figured on purchasing or renting a 200ft cable to run to the projector. I have a production assistant to mind my cable.

Anything wrong with this? I also have component BNC's on the cam but they are HD only- I just want to keep things simple here.

I will ofcourse test everything before the date but I just wanted to post here first to see if there is something I need to know as I've never used composite cable on such a long run.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

aLexx
Re: Anything wrong with running 200ft of composite video from my camera?
on Oct 4, 2007 at 4:05:19 pm

composite in general is not the best quality, but
[Justin Ferar] "I just want to keep things simple here."...no problem, until 200ft it will work without problems. If you

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Oct 4, 2007 at 5:18:46 pm

Yeah, the RCA jack makes me nervous. I'm hoping the hotel has an HD projector so that we can go with component BNC instead.

Thanks for the reply.

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Oct 8, 2007 at 5:52:01 pm

The vast majority of projectors will accept at least YC, and probably component as well. (Most hotel projectors are more on the industrial side, especially if they have an AV company doing the setups).

You should be able to find out what model they will be using ahead of time.

Vince

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 12, 2007 at 2:27:05 pm

Call me a nervous nelly, but I would at least think about putting a proc amp or DA on that line to boost the signal. 100 feet or less, probably not. 200 feet... I'd start to think about it....

Return to posts index

aLexx
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:41:52 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Call me a nervous nelly, but I would... "

please do the following: take a signal, like a colorbar from your housesync or your camera or whatever. Buy or rent 200 feet cable by an accredited dealer, not on e-bay. Connect the signal directly to a waveformmonitor and a vectorscope, than do the same with 200feet in between, the difference is negligible and for delivering to a projector not worth to talk about. Another visual test would be a crosscolor sensitive graphic, check it out...

no more need to be nervous...

alex

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Nov 8, 2007 at 6:27:51 am

For a run that long you will experience quite a bit of quality loss unless you use really nice cables. I would recommend a balun from Intellix. They are about 45-55 US dollars per piece ( 2 needed, one to send one to recieve). The baluns convert video for transmission via Cat 5. I have used runs over 300 feet with no loss of quality (and HD video !!) Check out their site...
http://www.intelix.com/applications/av_over_cat5.htm

Return to posts index

Ryan Hodges
on Dec 28, 2007 at 12:53:00 am

go with cat5e converters, we use it extensively in our church and even send dvi over cat5e to an led sign outside more than 500 ft(probably more than most would suggest but it looks great as long as you dont let it near power sources.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]